We’ve reached the stage of the season where teams and programs with state championship aspirations begin to refer to their regular season as ‘the playoffs.’
Because, really, that’s what the regular season is: one big state playoff game played in aggregated pieces. You lose enough of of those pieces, you’ve lost your playoff game and your season is over.
That’s what we have going around here. Every game is important. Every game has meaning. It’s the regular season, but, really, these are the playoffs. The virtual playoffs.
With Thanksgiving and season’s end right around the corner, the four state playoffs are rapdily coming into focus. We’re already certain which teams aren’t going to the postseason. With each week, we’ll cross off a bunch more until we’re left with the 32 finalists at approximately 1 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day.
That’s pretty much what’s going down in the SCC tonight with Xavier and Shelton, Hand and North Haven and Foran all playing for their playoff lives. Lose and the button’s going to pop: They’re cooked, or at least ready to be devoured.
So here we are. It’s the fourth quarter of the virtual playoff first round. It’s high drama tonight at a local football field near you.
Can’t make it? Then stick with us.
Catch up with newsroom links. Then, when game time arrives, you can watch or listen to a horde of games from around the state by just selecting one of the ‘On the Air’ links below.
And, of course, you can keep your eye on all the action by following the live blog. If you’re on a mobile phone, just click the link below the live blog header.
Everybody ready? Here we go:
On the air
- Naugatuck (7-1) at Holy Cross (6-2), Thursday, 6 p.m.: WATR 1320-AM
- Torrington (1-7) at Woodland (7-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: WATR 1320-AM
- Shelton (6-2) at Xavier (6-2), Friday, 7 p.m.: WCNX 1710-AM | WLIS 1420-AM / WMRD 1150-AM | TigerPrideFootball (Webcast)
- Hand (6-2) at West Haven (7-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: WAVZ 1300-AM (ESPNRadio)
- Wilbur Cross (3-5) at Notre Dame-WH (3-5), Friday, 7 p.m.: gogreenknights.com
- Middletown (8-0) at New London (5-2), Friday, 6:30 p.m.: TheDay.com
- Staples (6-2) at Bridgeport Central (0-8), Friday, 7 p.m.: WWPT 90.3-FM
- Westhill (4-4) at Greenwich (5-3), Friday, 6 p.m.: WGCH 1490-AM
- Berlin (5-3) at Rocky Hill (7-1), Friday, 7 p.m. CPTVSports.org
- Week 9’s Games to Watch: It’s elimination weekend in SCC
- Prep football: Hopkins hopes to finish on positive note vs. Hamden Hall
- Ansonia’s Brockett talks Chargers on national football show
- New Canaan’s Marinelli talks No. 1 Rams and an open division on WFSB
- Sean Patrick Bowley’s Audibles: Statewide guide to Week 9
- Pooch’s Picks: Predictions for Week 9
- No. 2 Ansonia survives Seymour’s upset bid
- GameTimeCT / Register Top 10 Poll: We have a new No. 1
- Regional football notebook: Guilford has sights on first division title
- Tuesday Morning Quarterback: Top Players, teams of Week 8; Look ahead to Week 9
- State Football beat: The Week 9 FCIAC, SWC, NVL championship scenarios
- The Day of New London previews, to broadcast New London-Middletown
- GameTimeCT Week 8 Plays of the Week
- Ray Curren’s Inside the SCC: The Week 8 running diary
Follow the live blog below for updates on all of the state’s games: