A quick look back at some of last week’s best football performances across Connecticut. Compiled from news sources across the state. If you have a top performer you’d like highlighted, email Sean Patrick Bowley at email@example.com or Pete Paguaga firstname.lastname@example.org before noon every Monday.
Berlin gets on the board first as Alex Halkias goes 22 yards for the TD. XP good
— Pete Paguaga (@PetePaguaga) November 2, 2018
- Mark Bedson, Simsbury — Rushed for 252 yards on 32 carries and three touchdowns in 34-19 win over Manchester.
- Terrence Bogan, Sheehan — Ran six times for 138 yards and two touchdowns in 47-12 win over Bassick.
- Jadon Folkwein, Avon — Rushed for 203 yards and three touchdowns in 35-8 win over Rocky Hill.
- Miguel Gonzalez, Windsor Locks/Suffield/East Granby — Rushed for four touchdowns in 41-20 win over Coventry/Windham Tech/Bolton/Lyman Memorial.
- Alex Halkias, Berlin — Rushed for 151 yards and touchdowns in 37-0 win over Bloomfield.
- Anthony Ligi, Wolcott — Rushed for 188 yards and three touchdowns. He added an interception in 42-20 win over WCA.
- Shykeem Harmon, Ansonia – Rushed for 181 yards and two touchdowns in 36-20 win over Woodland.
- Colin McCabe, Hand — Rushed for 136 yards on 10 carries with two rushing touchdowns and one receiving touchdown in 49-14 win over Cheshire.
- Dan Mason, Newtown — Rushed for two touchdowns in the final six minutes to put away 21-0 win over Brookfield.
- Zerion Montgomery, Derby — Rushed for 105 yards on just three carries, two touchdowns and added a 55-yard punt return in 66-20 win over Crosby.
- Warren Murphy, Notre Dame-WH — Rushed for 236 yards and a touchdown in 39-20 win over Wilbur Cross.
- Michael Plaskon, Law — Rushed for 253 yards and four touchdowns. He added a receiving touchdown in the 40-32 win over Guilford.
- Julien Rivas, Stafford/East Windsor/Somers — Rushed for 200 yards and three touchdowns in 21-0 win over Ellington.
- Shawn Robinson, New Britain — Rushed for 265 yards and three touchdowns in 63-26 win over East Hartford.
- Jaden Shirden, St. Joseph — Rushed for 172 yards and a touchdown in 17-14 win over Staples.
- Landis Twomey, Old Saybrook/Westbrook — Rushed for three touchdowns in 34-8 win over North Branford.
- Alessandro Ward, Holy Cross — Rushed for 159 yards and two touchdowns in 42-7 win over Torrington.
- Tahje Yopp, New Britain — Rushed for 177 yards and four touchdowns in 62-26 win over East Hartford.
- Tremayne Carter, Platt — Caught five passed for 77 yards and two touchdowns in 21-20 loss to Bristol Central.
- Brian Howell, Ludlowe — Caught three touchdown passes and made the game-clinching interception in 44-39 win over Danbury.
- Victor Marquez, Maloney — Caught nine passes for 106 yards in 43-20 win over Newington.
- Angelo Nicholas, Westhill — Caught seven passes for 121 and a one touchdown in 35-15 loss to Trumbull.
- Jason O’Brien, Valley Regional/Old Lyme — Caught nine passes for 123 yards and three touchdowns in 33-28 win over Rockville.
- Aaron Simmons, Sheehan — Caught three passes for 77 yards and all three catches were for touchdowns in 47-12 win over Bassick.
— Scott Ericson (@EricsonSports) November 2, 2018
- Jacob Drena, Southington — Threw for 290 yards and four touchdowns — to four different receivers — in 51-19 win over Enfield.
- Cayden Mitchell, Oxford — Threw for 190 yards and four touchdowns in 49-28 win over Sacred Heart/Kaynor Tech.
- Drew Pyne, New Canaan — Threw for 205 yards, two touchdowns and broke the school record for career passing yards in 34-0 win over Norwalk.
- Colin Wilson, Ludlowe — Threw five touchdowns — three in the second half — in 44-39 win over Danbury.
Annnd then Seymour, despite its best efforts to kick away from him, gets bit by return demon Elijah Robinson. How many return TDs is that for this kid?
14-up 633 left before halftime #cthsfb pic.twitter.com/SmJrcigAvD
— Sean Patrick Bowley (@SPBowley) November 1, 2018
- Jacob Commander, New London — Rushed for 231 yards and two touchdowns and added a 62-yard touchdown pass in 25-10 win over Ledyard.
- Luke Desaulnier, Killingly — Rushed for two touchdowns and kicked two field goals in 34-14 win over Trinity Catholic.
- Justus Fitzpatrick, Bristol Central, scored the game-winning touchdown on a 38-yard run and threw for a 47 yard touchdown in 21-20 win over Platt.
- Zack Hochman, Notre Dame-West Haven, after being moved to QB, due to the weather conditions, he rushed for 166 yards and three touchdowns and made 10 tackles in 39-20 win over Wilbur Cross.
- Eljiah Parker, NFA, threw for three touchdowns and rushed for two more in the 55-21 win over Waterford.
- Jake Roberts, Shelton, threw for 217 yards and two touchdowns and ran for another touchdown in 46-7 win over Amity.
- Matt Silver, Wethersfield, rushed for 88 yards and two touchdowns and added 230 yards through the air and a passing touchdown in 34-14 win over Bristol Eastern.
- Adam Tolk, Trumbull, run for a touchdown, caught a touchdown, blocked a punt and was in on three sacks in 35-15 win over Westhill.
- Raquan Tompkins, East Hartford, rushed for 171 yards and four touchdowns and threw for another 105 yards in 63-26 loss to New Britain.
— CT Sports Now (@CT_Sports_Now) November 3, 2018
- Marcus Generis, Wethersfield — Picked up a fumble and returned it 40 yards for a touchdown in 34-14 win over Bristol Eastern.
- Josh Lisi, Bunnell — Returned an interception 70 yards for a touchdown in 48-14 win over Bethel.
- Michael Manning Jr., East Haven — Returned a kickoff 56 yards for a touchdown in 11-8 win over Coginchaug/East Hampton/Hale Ray.
- Elijah Robinson, Naugatuck — Returned a kick 78 yards for a touchdown and then caught the game-winning pass in 28-26 win over Seymour.
- Ryan Rodriguez, Bristol Central– Made the game-clinching interception in 21-20 win over Platt.
- James Savko, Bunnell — Returned an interception 61 yards for a touchdown in 48-14 win over Bethel.
- Tony Undercuffler, Berlin — Made a one-handed interception in the end zone and then added his second interception of the game in 37-0 win over Bloomfield.
- T.J. Walton, Fairfield Prep — Returned a kickoff 75 yards for a touchdown and added a 51-yard rushing touchdown in 49-6 win over North Haven.
- Ja’Kal Young, Westhill — Returned a fumble 99 yards in 35-15 loss to Trumbull.
- Isaiah York, Bullard-Havens — Returned an interception 58 yards for a touchdown as time expired to win the game in the Tigers’ 32-26 win over Cheney Tech.
- Mozi Bici, Greenwich — Shattered the state record with eight sacks in 33-3 win over Ridgefield. The previous mark was 6 1/2, set two times last year.
- Jake Sforza, Wolcott — Had two sacks, two more tackles for a loss and rushed for 98 yards in 42-20 win over WCA.
- Granby secondary — Made four interceptions — three returned for touchdowns by Andel Smith, Jackson Rome and Conor Hogan — in 39-0 win over Gilbert/Northwestern.
- Noah Gage, St. Joseph — Intercepted a pass to set up Jaden Shirden’s touchdown for what eventually became the winning score in a 17-14 victory over Staples.
Love for punters
— Sean Patrick Bowley (@SPBowley) November 3, 2018
- Evan Damian, East Haven, had a 72-yard punt(!) to pin Coginchaug on its own 1-yard line. The East Haven defense recorded a safety shortly after in East Haven’s 11-8 win.
- Seymour (6-2) at Ansonia (8-0), 6 p.m. — Another big matchup in the valley. This is a must-win for the Wildcats if they want any shot at reaching the Class S playoffs. Seymour hasn’t won this game since 2004, however, and QB Ian Sadick is likely done for the season with a shoulder injury.
- Middletown (7-0) at Platt (6-2), 6:30 p.m. — This was a must-win for Platt before last week’s game — which the Panthers lost. Now they have win, no questions asked, if the Panthers plan on playing beyond Thanksgiving
- North Haven (7-1) at Fairfield Prep (7-1), 7 p.m. — Both teams having lost to Shelton, this SCC Tier 1 showdown is a showdown for playoff points, North Haven in Class L, and Fairfield Prep to keep their LL hopes humming.
- Law (5-3) at Lyman Hall (5-2), 6:30 p.m. — In a wide-open Class M playoff race, anything is possible, but there’s little room for error, especially if you’re Mike Plaskon and Law.
- Bloomfield (7-1) at RHAM (7-1), 1 p.m. — Was last week a fluke for Bloomfield? Let’s find out when the Warhawks travel to Hebron to face Cal Redman and Co.