Cheshire’s convincing 42-28 victory over West Haven on Friday night has lifted the Rams into the GameTimeCT / New Haven Register Top 10 poll heading into Week 4.
Actually, it’s a Top 11 because Xavier (3-0) has made its debut as well alongside Hand (2-1) at No. 10. The Falcons are 3-0 and have allowed just 21 points this season.
Elsewhere, New Canaan (3-0) leaped-frogged rival Darien to reach No. 2 after its 35-20 victory over Greenwich on Saturday.
The Blue Wave, which handled Bassick 41-0, dropped to No. 3.
The rest of the poll remains unchanged from Week 3. Southington (3-0) is still No. 1 with 22 of 27 first-pace votes.
Darien and No. 4 Ansonia both held onto one first-place vote as they head into big games vs. No. 5 St. Joseph and Seymour, respectively. No. 6 Newtown has the other first-place vote.
Here is your Top 10 (11) heading into Week 4
GameTimeCT / Register Top 10: WEEK 4
- Last week: Def. Simsbury 47-7.
- Next game: at New Britain, Oct. 10, 7 p.m.
- Bottom line: Drew Barmore and Anthony Plantamuro each made interceptions, while Matt Maxwell and Logan Larosa recovered fumbles against Simsbury.
|2. NEW CANAAN||3-0||2||684||3||L|
- Last week: Def. Greenwich 35-20.
- This week: at Fairfield Warde, Thursday, 6 p.m.
- Bottom line: Congrats, Lou Marinelli, on your 300th career victory.
- Last week: Def. Bassick 41-0.
- This week: vs. St. Joseph, Thursday, 3 p.m.
- Bottom line: Afternoon Delight. Blue Wave host No. 5 St. Joseph in highly anticipated FCIAC showdown.
- Last week: Def. Wilby 40-0.
- This week: vs. Seymour, Thursday, 6 p.m.
- Bottom line: With the injury status of QB Jai’Quan McKnight and RB Tajik Bagley still up in the air, the Chargers’ 46-game win streak could be in jeopardy when Joe Salemme and upstart Seymour invades Jarvis Stadium.
|5. ST. JOSEPH||3-0||0||584||5||M|
- Last week: Def. Ridgefield 21-17.
This week: at Darien, Thursday, 3 p.m.
Bottom line: The Hogs trailed in the fourth quarter before rallying against winless Ridgefield. Perhaps St. Joseph was looking ahead to the Blue Wave?
- Last week: Def. Pomeperaug 49-3.
- This week: vs. Barlow, Thursday, 7 p.m.
- Bottom line: Jaret Devellis rushed 11 times for 124 yards and two touchdowns in the Nighthawks’ latest win. He also had a sack.
- Last week: Def. Bristol Central 38-6.
- This week: at Hartford Public, Saturday, 1 p.m.
- Bottom line: Quarterback John Nolan completed 9 of 12 passes for 210 yards and three touchdowns while Eric Vinson, Westley Jackson and Bennett Kevaughn all made interceptions for the Warriors last week.
- Last week: Def. West Haven 42-28.
- This week: vs. Sheehan, Thursday, 7 p.m.
- Bottom line: The Rams land in the spot previously held by West Haven, the team Cheshire defeated in impressive fashion in Week 3.
- Last week: Def. Amity 42-7.
- This week: vs. Foran, Thursday, 7 p.m.
- Bottom line: Troy Vasilescu made two sacks for the second consecutive week.
- Last week: Def. Wilbur Cross 37-24.
- This week: at North Haven, Thursday, 7 p.m.
- Bottom line: The Tigers finally got their offense clicking with Nick van Dell throwing for 339 yards and four touchdowns against Cross.
- Last week: Def. Hamden 30-7.
- This week: vs. Hillhouse at SCSU, Friday, 8 p.m.
- Bottom line: The Falcons have allowed just 21 points, the fewest of any SCC team so far this season.
Dropped out: West Haven (8).
First-place votes in parentheses and points tabulated on a 30-28-26-24-22-20-18-16-14-12-11-10-9-8-7 basis.
Others receiving votes: Brookfield (3-0), 258; Fairfield Prep (2-1) and Ledyard (3-0), 211; Wethersfield (3-0), 159; West Haven (2-1), 128; Naugatuck (2-0), 122; Middletown (2-1), 36; North Branford (3-0), 30; Seymour (2-0) and Staples (2-1), 23; Morgan (3-0), 22; Hall (2-0), 19; Berlin (3-0), 15; Trinity Catholic (3-0) and Valley Regional/Old Lyme (3-0), 8.
The following voted: Mary Albl, Fairfield Minuteman; Marc Allard, Norwich Bulletin; Bob Barton, New Haven Register; Bill Bloxsom, Hersam-Acorn; Doug Bonjour, Connecticut Post; Sean Patrick Bowley, New Haven Register; Jim Bransfield, Middletown Press; Kyle Brennan, Waterbury Republican-American; George DeMaio, WELI; Gerry deSimas, The Collinsville Press; Mike DiMauro, The Day of New London; Scott Ericson, Stamford Advocate; Francesco Graziano, CPTV Sports; Ned Griffen, The Day of New London; John Holt, WFSB-3; Mark Jaffee, Waterbury Republican-American; Ken Lipshez, Meriden-Record Journal; Mike Madera, Elm City Newspapers; Joe Morelli, New Haven Register; John Nash, Norwalk Hour; Kevin Nathan, WVIT-30; Pete Paguaga, Elm City Newspapers; Dave Phillips, Shore Line Newspapers; Mike Pucci, New Haven Register; Dave Ruden, The Ruden Report; Tom Yantz, Hartford Courant; Jimmy Zanor, Middletown Press.
Poll compiled by: Mike Pucci.