Heading into the last full week of the regular season, the Week 10 GameTimeCT / New Haven Register Top 10 saw little changes from the previous week.
The only result that had any noticeable bearing on this week’s poll was the Ansonia-Woodland game. …And it was a victory for Ansonia.
Yet, the Chargers needed to rally with two touchdowns (including an onside kick) in the final minute to stun Woodland 30-28.
That was enough for some voters to drop Ansonia in their rankings. The Chargers lost about 40 points and fell one spot to No. 9.
Que cera, cera.
Other than that, all remained the same. Here’s the GameTimeCT media poll heading into Week 10.
GameTimeCT / Register Top 10: WEEK 10
- Last week: Def. East Hartford 49-8.
- This week: at South Windsor, Saturday, 11 a.m.
- Bottom line: Alex Jamele had three touchdown receptions against East Hartford to up his career total to 44, good for second place all-time behind Aaron Hernandez’s state-record of 47.
|2. NEW CANAAN||8-0||2||734||2||L|
- Last week: Def. Wilton 47-7.
- This week: at Trinity Catholic, Saturday, 1 p.m.
- Bottom line: Alex LaPolice caught three passes for 66 yards and two touchdowns and also completed all five passes he attempted for 36 yards in the Rams’ latest victory.
- Last week: Def. Harding 42-14.
- This week: vs. North Haven, Saturday, 1 p.m.
- Bottom line: The Blue Wave end the regular season against teams who are a combined 16-1.
- Last week: Def. Stratford 42-6.
- This week: vs. New Fairfield, Friday, 7 p.m.
- The Bottom Line: Tim Krapf had two sacks against Stratford and now has six on the season. WR Troy Frangione returned.
- Last week: Def. Xavier 28-20.
- This week: vs. West Haven, Friday, 7 p.m.
- Bottom line: Senior quarterback Mark Piccirillo has thrown for 18 touchdowns and has rushed for 19. He had a hand in all but a few plays in Shelton’s victory over Xavier.
- Last week: Did not play.
- This week: at Glastonbury, Friday, 6 p.m.
- Bottom line: The Warriors will face their biggest test of the year when they face a Glastonbury team that has won seven in a row.
- Last week: Def. New London 41-14.
- This week: vs. East Lyme, Friday, 6:30 p.m.
- Bottom line: JoJo Shumaker rushed for 261 yards and four touchdowns against New London. Ledyard has unofficially qualified in Class M.
- Last week: Def. Bulkeley/HMTCA 49-6.
- This week: vs. East Hartford, Friday, 7 p.m.
- Bottom line: Richard Williams blocked a punt and had two touchdown receptions against Bulkeley/HMTCA.
- Last week: Def. Woodland 30-28.
- This week: vs. Kennedy, Friday, 7 p.m.
- Bottom line: The Chargers allowed 301 rushing yards and four touchdowns in the victory over the Hawks, yet won with two touchdowns in the final minute.
|10. NOTRE DAME-WH||7-2||0||320||10||L|
- Last week: Def. Wilbur Cross 34-28.
- This week: vs. Hand, Friday, 7 p.m.
- Bottom line: A must-win for the Green Knights against inconsistent Hand. A loss would end Notre Dame’s Class L aspirations.
Dropped out: None
First-place votes in parentheses and points tabulated on a 30-28-26-24-22-20-18-16-14-12-11-10-9-8-7 basis.
Others receiving votes
St. Joseph (7-2), 300; Fairfield Prep (7-2), 286; North Haven (8-1), 216; Middletown (7-1), 193; Brookfield (8-1), 128; Valley Regional/Old Lyme (9-0), 113; Berlin (9-0), 101; McMahon (7-1), 63; Cheshire (7-2), 48; Naugatuck (7-1), 26; Glastonbury (7-2), 17.
The following voted
Mary Albl, Fairfield Minuteman; Marc Allard, Norwich Bulletin; Bob Barton, New Haven Register; Bill Bloxsom, Hersam-Acorn; Doug Bonjour, Connecticut Post; Sean Patrick Bowley, New Haven Register; Jim Bransfield, Middletown Press; Kyle Brennan, Waterbury Republican-American; George DeMaio, WELI; Gerry deSimas, The Collinsville Press; Mike DiMauro, The Day of New London; Scott Ericson, Stamford Advocate; Francesco Graziano, CPTV Sports; Ned Griffen, The Day of New London; John Holt, WFSB-3; Mark Jaffee, Waterbury Republican-American; Ken Lipshez, Meriden-Record Journal; Mike Madera, Elm City Newspapers; Joe Morelli, New Haven Register; John Nash, Norwalk Hour; Kevin Nathan, WVIT-30; Pete Paguaga, Elm City Newspapers; Dave Phillips, Shore Line Newspapers; Mike Pucci, New Haven Register; Dave Ruden, The Ruden Report; Tom Yantz, Hartford Courant; Jimmy Zanor, Middletown Press.
Poll compiled by: Mike Pucci.