DEEP RIVER >> Valley Regional/Old Lyme junior Evan Smith took the opening kick-off 93 yards for a touchdown.
And from there, things just kept getting better for the Warriors.
Junior running back Justin Cheverier scored four touchdowns and quarterback Phil Cohen tossed a gorgeous 34 yard touchdown strike to Chris Jean-Pierre – all in the first half – as the Warriors rolled past Coginchaug, 61-14, Friday night at Blythe Field.
“We came out ready to play tonight,” said Valley Regional/Old Lyme coach Tim King. “The offensive line stepped up to the challenge and played very well.”
After Cohen’s electrifying touchdown return, the Warriors scored on all five of their first half possessions with Cheverier collecting TD runs of 51, 47, 25 and 6 yards. Cheverier finished with 170 yards on six carries.
“Justin was the beneficiary of a great performance by our offensive line and he ran like a madman tonight,” said King.
Valley Regional, which outgained the Blue Devils 354-89 in the first half, led 42-0 at intermission.
Coginchaug senior quarterback Tyler Meeker scored on a 25 yard touchdown run to open the third quarter, making it 42-7.
But Valley (2-0) answered when Smith (two TDs) raced 64 yards for a touchdown and a 48-7 lead.
Meeker, who gained 47 yards on eight carries, also had a 14-yard scoring toss to Jack Granger late in the third quarter.
Cohen completed 6 of 6 passes for 93 yards, while Tyler Jaynes rushed for 43 yards on four carries for the Warriors (2-0).
“It was a great team effort,” said King. “From our special teams to our defense, which didn’t give up any points until the second half, we played very well tonight.”
Valley Regional 61, Coginchaug 14
(at Deep River)
Coginchaug 0 0 14 0 0 — 14
Valley Reg. 28 14 13 6 0 — 61
- V—Evan Smith 93 kickoff ret (kick missed)
- V—Justin Cheverier 51 run (Cheverier run)
- V—Justin Cheverier 47 run (Jared Roche kick)
- V—Justin Cheverier 25 run (Jared Roche kick)
- V—Chris Jean-Pierre 34 pass from Phil Cohen (Jared Roche kick)
- V—Justin Cheverier 6 run (Jared Roche kick)
- C—Tyler Meeker 25 run (Jack Granger kick)
- V—Evan Smith 64 run (Jared Roche kick)
- V—Chris Jean-Pierre 2 run (knee)
- C—Jack Granger 14 pass from Tyler Meeker (Jack Granger kick)
- V—Brian Wolfe 10 run (knee)
- Team records: Valley Regional 2-0; Coginchaug 1-1