Haddam-Killingworth at Valley Regional/Old Lyme
- Where/When: Blythe Field, Deep River, Tuesday, 6:30 p.m.
- Team records: Haddam-Killingworth 4-5; Valley Regional 8-1
- Series Record: Valley Regional/Old Lyme leads series 29-9
- Last year: Valley Regional/Old Lyme 27-13
- Players to watch: Haddam-Killingworth: Alex Segaline, Sr., ATH/SS; Jon Grasso, Sr., QB/DE; Noah Vinci, Sr., RB/CB; Valley Regional/Old Lyme: Garrett Burdick, Sr., WR/DB/K; Mitch Conrad, Sr., OL/DL Matt Sapere, Sr., QB; Dan Stecher, Sr., RB/LB.
- You should know: Valley Regional/Old Lyme has already qualified for the Class M playoffs, the Warriors’ first trip to the postseason since winning the Class S-Large title in 2014. It’s the fifth time Valley has made the playoffs since 2010. The Warriors likely earn a home game for the quarterfinals with a victory here.
Valley has lost only to unbeaten Cromwell/Portland 48-26 on Sept. 30. It has since won five in a row, including four by shutout. The Warriors have not allowed a point in their last three games.
Stecher leads the team with 103 tackles, while junior Roan Sullivan has made 97 and 2.5 sacks. The multi-purpose Burdick has made nine interceptions. Valley has intercepted 20 passes in total, including three by junior Ernest Jean-Pierre.
Valley is balanced offensively. It averages 179 rushing yards and 146 passing yards per game. Sapere has completed 80 of 157 passes for 1,316 yards and 19 touchdowns against just five interceptions.
Burdick (32 catches, 564 yards, 10 touchdowns) is Sapere’s top target, although Jean-Pierre (15-253-2) and sophomore Jason O’Brien (10-190-3) also contribute at receiver.
Stecher has rushed 100 times for 890 yards and 11 touchdowns. He’s rushed for more than 100 yards in a game four times. Sapere’s added 65 carries for 443 yards and six scores.
Burdick is also a threat at kicker. He’s made 37 of 40 extra points and two field goals.
With a win here, H-K will finish with a .500 record for the second straight season.
Segaline’s been the Cougars’ top playmaker all season. He rushed for 130 yards on 25 carries with three touchdowns, had five pass receptions, including one for a touchdown, and had two interceptions in a 36-20 win over Nonnewaug in the team’s last game on Nov. 11.
- GAMETIMECT’S PICK —Valley Regional/Old Lyme.