OFFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- Ansonia’s Arkeel Newsome: Rushed for 314 yards and five touchdowns in a 62-28 victory over Derby on Friday.
- Fairfield Prep’s Colton Smith: Rushed 17 times for 208 yards and four touchdowns and completed 11 of 18 passes for 167 yards and one score in a 38-28 victory over previously unbeaten Shelton on Friday.
- Middletown’s Dario Highsmith: Gained 251 yards on just 13 carries and scored three times in a 41-7 win over Hartford Public on Friday.
- Platt’s Tyzhan Leatherwood: Rushed for 359 yards and four touchdowns in a 47-14 win over Rocky Hill on Friday.
- Woodland’s Sean McAllen: Rushed for a school-record 274 yards in a 59-14 win over St. Paul on Saturday. McAllen scored three times.
- Trumbull’s Nick Roberts: Threw for 363 yards and six touchdowns, a school record, as Trumbull hammered Westhill 49-16.
- Pomperaug’s Wade Prajer: Threw for 401 yards, a school record, and the winning TD pass to Steve Croce with seconds left in Pomperaug’s 35-32 win over Masuk.
DEFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- Amity’s Tyler Burns: Scored on a 77-yard interception return in a 42-28 loss to Xavier on Friday. Burns also caught a 53-yard touchdown reception.
- Law’s Joe Coury: Returned an interception 64 yards for a touchdown in a 34-0 win over East Haven on Friday.
- Valley Regional/Old Lyme’s Evan Smith: Returned an interception 24 yards for a touchdown in a 50-7 win over Enfield on Friday. Smith also scored on touchdown run and caught a touchdown pass.
- Hyde’s Jaquaine Manley: Made seven tackles, a sack and forced a fumble in a 23-0 victory over Haddam-Killingworth on Saturday.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- Darien’s Daly Hebert: Kicked a 37-yard field goal and made two extra points in a 31-6 win over Fairfield Warde on Friday.
- Derby’s Tyrae Small: Returned a kickoff 76 yards for a touchdown in a 62-28 loss to Ansonia on Friday. Small also rushed for 200 yards.
- Fairfield Prep’s Stephen Walsh: Kicked a 60-yard punt in a 38-28 win over Shelton on Friday. Walsh also made an interception.
- Immaculate’s Darel Bowman: Scored on a 85-yard kickoff return in a 34-12 loss to Oxford on Friday. Bowman also threw a 32-yard touchdown pass.
TEAMS OF THE WEEK
- Ansonia: Defeated rival, and previously unbeaten, Derby 62-28 on Friday. The Chargers have won 33 straight games.
- Avon: Knocked off previously unbeaten North Branford 41-38 on Saturday, scoring two touchdowns in the final 26 seconds.
- Bassick: Defeated Bridgeport Central 34-12 on Thursday, the Bears’ first win of the season and their first win over Central since 1995.
- Law: Shut out East Haven 34-0 on Friday to win its first game of the season.
PLAYS OF THE WEEK
ON THE AIR
- Masuk (4-1) at Ansonia (5-0), Thursday, 6:30 p.m.: WELI 960-AM | WATR 1320-AM | CPTVSPorts tape delay
- Xavier (4-1) at West Haven (4-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: WELI 960-AM | WCNX 1790-AM | CPTVSports (check local listings)
- Amity (3-2) at Notre Dame-WH (3-2), Friday, 7 p.m.: GoGreenKnights.com
- Bunnell (2-3) at Naugatuck (4-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: WATR 1320-AM
- Barlow (4-1) at Torrington (0-5), Friday, 7 p.m.: WAPJ 89.9-FM and 105.1-FM
- Greenwich (3-2) at Trumbull (4-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: WGCH 1490-AM
- Danbury (2-3) at Staples (4-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: WWPT 90.3-FM
- Windsor Locks/Suffield/East Granby (3-1) at Cromwell (3-1), Saturday, 1:35 p.m.: WCNX 1790-AM
GET OUT AND GO
- Masuk (4-1) at Ansonia (5-0), Thursday, 6:30 p.m.: Masuk’s loss to Pomperaug last week took some luster off this contest but expect the Panthers to be fired up coming into Jarvis Stadium.
- Valley Regional/Old Lyme (4-0) at North Branford (4-1), Friday, 6:30 p.m.: Valley Regional/Old Lyme is widely considered to be the best team in the Pequot Conference. Time to find out just how good the Warriors are.
- Xavier (4-1) at West Haven (4-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: Two of the SCC’s top running backs, Xavier’s Andrew Meoli and West Haven’s Ervin Philips square off in this pivotal SCC Division I interdivision tilt.
- Bunnell (2-3) at Naugatuck (4-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: Bunnell visits former coach Craig Bruno, now the head man at Naugatuck.
- Newtown (5-0) at Wolcott (4-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: Newtown has played progressively better the last three weeks.
- Derby (4-1) at Bethel (3-2), Friday, 7 p.m.: Bethel has won three straight since opening up with losses to 4-1 Barlow and unbeaten Newtown.
- Greenwich (3-2) at Trumbull (4-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: Both teams are on mini-win streaks since early-season losses. Greenwich, two straight. Trumbull four straight. Winner will dramatically increase its playoff chances.