OFFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- Ledyard’s Ty Ebdon: Completed 12 of 15 passes for 359 yards and five touchdowns and ran for a score in a 55-13 win over Montville on Friday.
- Morgan’s Jake Ward: Ran for 330 yards and four touchdowns in a 33-21 win over North Branford on Friday.
- Windsor’s Jedidiah Haynes: Completed 16 of 20 passes for 400 yards and four touchdowns and ran for two touchdowns in a 46-6 win over Maloneyon Friday.
- Guilford’s Joe Nault: Rushed for 212 yards and five touchdowns and threw for two scores in a 63-28 win over Law on Friday.
- Hamden Hall’s Mike Whalen: Made five catches for 151 yards and two touchdowns, including the game-winning 60-yard touchdown reception with 17 seconds remaining, in a 49-42 win over Morristown (N.J.) on Saturday.
- New Canaan’s Nick Cascione: Threw for 379 yards and six touchdowns to four different receivers and also ran for another in New Canaan’s 62-21 rout of St. Joseph.
DEFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- East Hartford’s Enyce Walker: Made an interception with 33 seconds remaining in a 15-14 win over New Britain on Friday.
- New Canaan’s Cole Harris: Made 10 tackles, forced two fumbles (one teammate Connor buck returned for a touchdown) and recovered a fumble in New Canaan’s 62-61 victory.
- Notre Dame-West Haven’s Prince Brooks: Scored on a 36-yard interception return in a 28-0 win over Cheshire on Friday.
- Staples Jake Melnick: Dropped Trumbull’s Quentin Bruntetti yards short of the potential game-typing touchdown to preserve Staples 49-42 overtime win over Trumbull.
- Shelton’s Troy Vasilescu: Made nine tackles and recovered a fumble in a 32-7 win over Hamden on Friday.
- Gilbert/NW Regional’s Seth Dayton: Made an interception on the potential tying two-point conversion attempt in a 34-33 win over Avon on Saturday.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- Ansonia’s Arkeel Newsome: Scored on a 79-yard punt return in a 41-7 win over Watertown on Thursday.
- Wilbur Cross’ Elijah Long: Returned a kickoff for 99 yards for the Governors’ only score in a 50-7 loss to West Haven.
- Lyman Hall’s John Witik: Kicked a 20-yard field goal in overtime to lift the Trojans to a 24-21 win over Branford on Friday.
- McMahon’s Kentrell Snider: Returned a kickoff 83 yards in a 41-9 victory over Ludlowe on Friday.
- Prince Tech’s Vincent Ruff: Scored on a 75-yard kickoff return in a 25-0 win over Vinal Tech/East Hampton on Friday.
- New Canaan’s Peter Swindell: Kicked field goals of 34 and 45 yards and made seven extra points in a 62-21 win over St. Joseph on Friday.
TEAMS OF THE WEEK
- Holy Cross: Knocked off previously unbeaten Woodland 37-18 on Friday, giving itself a chance at the NVL Copper Division title.
- Middletown: Stayed unbeaten and handed Farmington its first loss in a 21-7 win over Friday.
- New Canaan: Crushed then No. 3 St. Joseph 62-21 on Friday in a battle of teams that entered unbeaten.
- Torrington: Defeated Kennedy 21-0 on Friday to win its first game of the season.
- Westhill: Rallied from 10 points down with three minutes left to defeat Danbury 23-22 for its fourth win of the season.
- Xavier: Defeated then No. 8 Hand 28-14 on Friday, handing the Tigers their first loss at home since 2009.
- Harding: Defeated Bassick 26-20 to snap its six-game losing streak and give it a shot at the Bridgeport city title.
We’re still taking submissions for the GameTimeCT Plays of the Week. Submit your ‘Plays of the Week!’ Send a video link to firstname.lastname@example.org or Tweet at us at @SPBowley or @GameTimeCT Deadline is 6 p.m. Tuesdays.
ON THE AIR
- Naugatuck (7-1) at Holy Cross (6-2), Thursday, 6 p.m.: WATR 1320-AM
- Torrington (1-7) at Woodland (7-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: WATR 1320-AM
- Shelton (6-2) at Xavier (6-2), Friday, 7 p.m.: WCNX 1710-AM | WLIS 1420-AM / WMRD 1150-AM
- Hand (6-2) at West Haven (7-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: WAVZ 1300-AM (ESPNRadio)
- Wilbur Cross (3-5) at Notre Dame-WH (3-5), Friday, 7 p.m.:
- Staples (6-2) at Bridgeport Central (0-8), Friday, 7 p.m.: WWPT 90.3-FM
- Westhill (4-4) at Greenwich (5-3), Friday, 6 p.m.: WGCH 1490-AM
- Berlin (5-3) at Rocky Hill (7-1), Friday, 7 p.m. CPTVSports.org
GET OUT AND GO
- Naugatuck (7-1) at Holy Cross (6-2), Thursday, 6 p.m.: Holy Cross can win the NVL Copper Division title with a victory here.
- Hand (6-2) at West Haven (7-1), Friday, 7 p.m: Season on the line for both teams, it’s win or postseason hopes likely over. Westies, though, in better shape for a playoff berth than Hand with a loss.
- Bristol Eastern (7-1) at Farmington (7-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: With favorable schedules remaining for both teams after this week, the winner here is a lock for a spot in the Class L field.
- McMahon (7-0) at Ridgefield (6-2), Friday, 7 p.m.: We’ll find out just how good McMahon is during the next two weeks. First, a visit to Ridgefield and then the Senators host St. Joseph next week.
- Foran (6-2) at North Haven (7-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: The SCC Division II East title will be decided in North Haven.
- Shelton (6-2) at Xavier (6-2), Friday, 7 p.m.: Someone’s Class LL playoff hopes are about to be deep-sixed.
–With SEAN PATRICK BOWLEY
- GameTimeCT / Register Top 10 Poll: We have a new No. 1
- Regional football notebook: Guilford has sights on first division title
- Tuesday Morning Quarterback: Top Players, teams of Week 8; Look ahead to Week 9
- State Football beat: The Week 9 FCIAC, SWC, NVL championship scenarios
- Ray Curren’s Inside the SCC: The Week 8 running diary