OFFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- Ansonia’s Arkeel Newsome: Rushed 40 times for 406 yards and seven touchdowns in a 66-28 victory over Naugatuckon Thursday.
- Fairfield Prep’s Colton Smith: Rushed 32 times for 294 yards and one touchdown in a 29-20 win over West Haven on Thursday.
- Fairfield Warde’s T.J. Gallagher: Ran for 300 yards and five touchdowns in a 44-21 win over Fairfield Ludlowe on Thursday.
- Shelton’s Mark Piccirillo: Rushed 16 times for 143 yards and three touchdowns and completed 9 of 13 passes for 183 yards and two scores in a 56-20 win over Derby on Thursday.
- Newtown’s Cooper Gold: Ran for 256 yards and 5 TDs in a 42-7 win over Masuk.
- Will Bonaparte: Ran for 292 yards and a pair of touchdowns as Ridgefield defeated Danbury 35-6 and qualified for the state playoffs.
- Dominic Pagano, Granby Memorial: Ran for 141 yards and three touchdowns as Granby rallied to beat Canton 21-19 and win the Selectman’s Cup.
- Austin Longi, Greenwich: Ran for 225 yards and 3 TDs as Greenwich knocked Staples out of playoff contention with a 27-7 victory.
DEFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- Farmington’s Kenny Jones: Made two interceptions and had eight tackles in a 34-0 win over Plainville on Thursday.
- Hillhouse’s William Barnes: Scored on a 32-yard fumble recovery in a 21-19 victory over Hillhouse on Thursday.
- Notre Dame-West Haven’s Kobe Wiggins: Returned an interception 85 yards for a touchdown in a 43-7 win over Hamden on Thursday.
- Sheehan’s Bobby Carey: Scored on a 96-yard interception return in a 54-7 win over Lyman Hall on Thursday.
- New Canaan’s Zach Allen: Returned a stripped-sack-fumble for the go-ahead score in the Rams’ eventual 28-24 loss to Darien.
- Darien’s Griffin Ross: Defended a pass at the goal line with no time left to preserve Darien’s 28-24 victory over New Canaan.
- Kyle Porter, Bristol Eastern: Had a tackle for a loss and, on the next play, recovered a fumble for a touchdown in Eastern’s 21-18 victory over Central in the ‘Battle for the Bell’
SPECIAL TEAMS OF THE WEEK
- New London’s Garrett Burdick: Freshman kicked the game-winning 40-yard field goal with five minutes remaining in a 9-7 victory over NFA on Thursday.
- North Branford’s Austin Calamita: Returned a punt 58 yards for a touchdown in a 36-14 win over Hyde on Wednesday.
- Shelton’s Troy Vasilescu: Returned a kickoff 51 yards for a touchdown in a 56-20 win over Derby on Thursday.
- Southington’s Kyle Smick: Kicked a 28-yard field goal and made five extra points in a 38-6 win over Cheshire on Thursday.
- Foran: Blocked two punts that led to touchdowns in the Lions’ 50-7 win over Law.
TEAMS OF THE WEEK
- Holy Cross: Defeated Wolcott 39-38 on Joe Kalosky’s Hail Mary pass to Gerron Pendarvis.
- East Haven: Defeated Branford 21-0 on Thursday to snap a nine-game losing streak.
- Fairfield Prep: Snapped West Haven’s nine-game winning streak with a 29-20 victory on Thursday that secured the Jesuits a Class LL playoff berth.
- South Windsor: Defeated Rockville 39-0 on Thursday to earn its first victory of the season.
- Darien: Knocked off previously unbeaten and then No. 1 New Canaan 28-24 on Thursday.
PLAYS OF TURKEY WEEK
ON THE AIR
- Class L quarterfinal, North Haven at Platt, 6:30 p.m.: 960-WELI.
- Class L quarterfinal, Hand vs. Darien at McMahon, 6:30 p.m.: CPTVSports.
GET OUT AND GO
- Class LL quarterfinal, Fairfield Prep (9-2) at Glastonbury (10-1), Tuesday, 6:30 p.m.: Glastonbury has won 10 in a row since losing its season opener. Fairfield Prep (five straight wins) is playing as well as any team in the state currently.
- Class L quarterfinal, New London (9-2) at Middletown (10-1), Tuesday, 6:30 p.m.: A rematch of a regular season contest won by New London.
- Class M quarterfinal, Brookfield (9-3) at Bethel (9-2), Tuesday, 6:30 p.m.: Another rematch. Bethel defeated the Bobcats 20-0 on Thanksgiving.
- Class S quarterfinal, Morgan (10-1) at Woodland (10-2), Tuesday, 6:30 p.m.: Running back Jake Ward and the huge Morgan offensive line against quarterback Tanner Kingsley and the potent Woodland offense. Should be a dandy.