Update: Woodland-Seymour has been ppd to Friday, 10 a.m. That means the CIAC will now approve the playoff points at 9 a.m. on Saturday.
Welcome to High School Football Thanksgiving Day Central: Wednesday edition.
Here’s where you’ll get everything you need to know for surrounding Thanksgiving football week:
A cool, rainy front mucked up much of the schedule, but it looks like WE’RE ON for many of the games that remain.
Headlining the slate of games is Hand at Guilford, a game with major Class L implications.
- THE SCHEDULE? Check. Here it is. Results and story links included.
- THANKSGIVING PREVIEWS? Check. Here they are: New Haven/Middlesex region | Fairfield County | Litchfield County | (Hoping next year for Hartford and New London)
- PLAYOFF POSSIBILITIES? Check and updated: CLASS LL | CLASS L | CLASS M | CLASS S
Here’s the short (as possible) version of what to look for TONIGHT:
- CLASS LL: RIDGEFIELD can put itself in position to earn a Class LL playoff berth by beating Danbury. The Tigers will be needing bonus help and a team above to lose to assure it. The other Class LL teams would prefer if the Tigers lost …XAVIER, which postponed tonight’s scrimmage with St. Paul to Friday due to rain, needs three of four teams above it to lose (Prep, Staples, Ridgefield and/or Trumbull. But not Southington). It’s rooting for the Hatters, though a Ridgefield win just means they’ll need all of Prep, Staples and Trumbull to lose.
- CLASS L: HAND can inch closer to a Class L playoff spot by beating Guilford (it would need bonus help or teams to lose on Thanksgiving to assure it), and deny North Haven 10 bonus points … BRISTOL EASTERN is praying Berlin can beat New Britain. That’s a key bonus game for its playoff hopes. If New Britain wins, the Lancers’ situation will become increasingly dire, especially since they’re also counting on 1-9 Maloney to beat 10-0 Platt, and NWC to beat Rocky Hill. …Naugatuck, Hand and North Haven would rather New Britain won. …NAUGATUCK is rooting for New Britain and Woodland to beat Seymour to earn the tiebreak over Bristol Eastern at 118.18 if it came to that (Eastern would have to get just two bonuses in that scenario.) Of course, Naugatuck can save itself by beating Ansonia.
- CLASS M: Woodland-Seymour has been postponed to FRIDAY at 10 a.m. …Woodstock’s game vs. Windham will divvy out points to Ledyard and Stonington if Woodstock won, but they probably won’t.
- CLASS S: We’ll start at the bottom. CANTON plays tonight and needs to win to have any shot (which is dim because they need Coginchaug and Holy Cross to lose on Thanksgiving). WOODLAND can clinch a home quarterfinal with a victory. …Though HOLY CROSS would love if Woodland won, HC still needs Coginchaug to lose on Thanksgiving).
ALSO: The CIAC announced the playoff pairings
“The Coach” George DeMaio’s Thanksgiving Eve Extravaganza: In what’s become an annual Thanksgiving Eve tradition, “The Coach” George DeMaio will be in studio on WELI 960-AM for his Thanksgiving Eve Extravaganza. He’ll be talking football and getting scores from everywhere tonight and setting the table for his Can’t miss annual Thanksgiving Extravaganza live from Amity tomorrow. Listen to it here beginning at 7:05 TONIGHT.
THE LIVE BLOG
Follow all the happenings on Thanksgiving Eve HERE as you listen to all that fine programming. Add comments, give us your thoughts, etc.
After tonight, we’ll bring out the main courses.