Ah, the playoffs.
Big playoffs, not-so big playoffs, medium playoffs, small playoff, provincial playoffs and regular season playoffs (you know, the regularly-scheduled games that literally make or break your season).
Lots up for grabs and we got all kinds of playoff stuff to tickle your fancy here.
There’s still a long way to go, but thanks to the Matt Fischer ‘Hal 9000’ we have a good idea about who can qualify this weekend and get a good idea about everyone else’s chances. Let’s wind our way up with the short, short version here:
- SWC playoff picture: Newtown is in. It’ll play the winner of Friday’s Brookfield vs. Barlow game. Final: Thursday, Nov. 21 at Brookfield, 7 p.m.
- FCIAC playoff picture: New Canaan is in. St. Joseph can get a rematch by beating McMahon and two wins from Danbury (v. Greenwich), Westhill (v. Harding) and Wilton (vs. Ridgefield). Staples is in with a win over Norwalk and the reverse of St. Joseph’s scenario. Final: Friday, Nov. 22 at McDougall Stadium, 7:30 p.m.
- NVL Playoff picture: Ansonia is in. Woodland qualifies with a win over Derby. Naugatuck qualifies with a win over Kennedy and a Woodland loss. Final: Wednesday, Nov. 20 at TBA.
THE STATE SCENE
Below are the real-time state playoff point worksheets created by Matt Fischer of CIAC. It gives you everything you need to know about what your team needs to reach the state playoffs: Your potential bonus games, your guarantees and your minimum and maximum point potential. The top eight averages reach the state playoffs.
Remember: Teams get 100 points for a win (130 for three-higher classes, 120 vs. two-higher classes, 110 for one-higher class; Unless it’s a league game, win vs. one lower class is 90, two lower classes is 80, three lower classes is 70). Then teams get 10 points for each victory by a defeated opponent. Your total points are divided by games played to reach your official average.
Big playoffs (LL)
- They’re In: Newtown (10-0). They’ve clinched a home quarterfinal.
Seven spots remain.
- On the verge (can qualify this weekend) — West Haven (8-1). A victory over Shelton plus wins by Hillhouse, Hand and Ludlowe. Glastonbury (8-1) Just needs one more win.
- Just win, baby (These teams are locks if they win their remaining games) — West Haven (8-1), NFA (7-1), Glastonbury (8-1), Fairfield Prep (7-2), Southington (7-1), Hall (7-1), McMahon (7-1) Xavier (7-2).
- Win and pray (need to win out and get help from above and below) — Ridgefield (7-2), Staples (7-2), Trumbull (7-2).
- Not bloody likely (Mathematically alive, realistically not) — Shelton (6-3), Greenwich (6-3), Manchester (5-4).
The not-so-big playoffs (L)
- They’re in — None.
Eight spots remain.
- On the verge — New Canaan (9-0), Platt (9-0). Both need just one more victory to qualify.
- Just win, baby — Middletown (8-1), Farmington (8-1), Bristol Eastern (7-2), Hand (6-3), North Haven (8-1), Darien (8-1), New London (6-2), Windsor (6-2). Any one of these teams would qualify by winning their remaining games and maybe some help here or there. That many of them play each other (hello, North Haven-Darien, Middletown-Windsor) greatly helps the others’ cause.
- Not bloody likely — Cheney Tech (7-2), Wethersfield (6-3), Masuk (6-3), Avon (6-3), Windsor Locks (5-3), East Lyme (5-3), Guilford (5-4). All these teams can do is keep winning and pray for a Thanksgiving miracle.
The medium playoffs (M)
- They’re in: None.
Eight spots remain.
- On the verge — Valley Regional/Old Lyme (8-0), St. Joseph (8-1), Barlow (8-1), Brookfield (8-1). One win qualifies. Of course, Brookfield and Barlow play tonight.
- Just win, baby — Gilbert/Northwestern (7-1), Bethel (7-1). Win their remaining games and it’s dancing time.
- Win and pray — Ledyard (7-2), Stonington (6-2), Quinnebaug Valley, aka Putnam (7-2), Wolcott (6-3), Bullard-Havens (6-3), Foran (6-3), New Fairfield (6-3). Keep winning because a loss and you’re pretty much done.
- Not bloody likely — Ellington-Somers (5-4), Waterford (4-4), Coventry/Windham Tech/Bolton (4-4), Killingly (4-5). Enjoy the feeling of being mathematically alive.
The Small playoffs (S)
- They’re in: Capital Prep/Classical/Achieve (9-0), Ansonia (10-0).
Six spots remain.
- Just win baby — Prince Tech (8-1), Rocky Hill (8-1), Woodland (8-1), Morgan (8-1). Prince Tech, Rocky Hill and Woodland can actually clinch this weekend if they win and a little help comes their way either this week or over the next few weeks. Gotta win, though.
- Win and pray — Bloomfield (7-2), Coginchaug (6-2), Northwest Catholic (7-2), North Branford (5-3), Holy Cross (6-3). Only two of these lucky contestants will get a playoff bid with a win and some help. So keep winning, y’all.
- Not bloody likely — Anybody below Holy Cross in the point standings. See yuh.