- Coach: Sean Marinan (13th season)
- Conference: SCC Division I West
- Playoff Class: LL (863 boys enrollment)
- Home: Palmer Field, Middletown
- 2013 Record: 7-3
- 2014 Kickoff: at Staples, Sept. 12, 7 p.m.
- Team page: Max Preps page
- Kaleb Lutton 6-3, 220, Sr., TE
- Michael Scherer, 5-10, 180, Sr., QB
- Tanner Kern, 6-4, 290, Sr., OL/DL
- Chidi Broderick, 6-2, 240, Sr., OL/DE
- Ted Duarte, 5-10, 170, Sr., RB
- Kevin Lawrence, 6-3, 280, Jr., NG
- Jake Dobos, 5-11, 175, Sr., SS
- John Sullivan, 5-10, 170, Sr., FS
Joe Carbone, QB; Andrew Meoli, RB; Nathan Gonzalez, WR/FS; Will Garrity, ILB.
The Falcons missed out on the state playoffs for the first time since 2008 last season. If Xavier is to return to the postseason after a one year absence, it will have to do so with some new faces in several key positions.
Scherer is expected to take over for Joe Carbone at quarterback. Scherer completed 2-of-3 passes for nine yards and rushed for 117 yards and three scores in a mop up role last season.
Duarte will take over as the Falcons’ featured running back with the graduation of Andrew Meoli, who rushed for 1,246 yards and 17 touchdowns as a senior.
The offensive line will be anchored by Kern, who is headed to Lafayette, and Broderick. Kern is one of the state’s top linemen. Him and Broderick are two veteran players also returning on defense. Both are big, strong and athletic, and should fare well on both sides of the ball. Broderick is also an accomplished wrestler who won the SCC title, was second in Class LL and fourth at the State Open at 220 pounds this past winter. Broderick earned Register All-Area honors in the process.
Lutton’s role should be expanded this season after he caught five passes, including one touchdown, as a sophomore.
Despite some inexperience, Xavier is expected to compete in the Southern Connecticut Conference and vie for a Class LL playoff berth.But the schedule isn’t easy. The Falcons open on the road against Staples, who should be improved after also failing to qualify for the state playoffs last season. SCC crossover tilts against North Haven and Hillhouse should also be challenging. The second half of Xavier’s schedule is brutal, with contests against West Haven, Notre Dame-West Haven, Hand, Shelton and Fairfield Prep.
Like last season, Xavier plays just 10 games, even though the calendar allows for an 11th game against this season.
Xavier will still play home games at Palmer Field, although a new athletic complex, complete with a turf field, is in the process of being built at the high school. Xavier’s home game on Oct. 18 against West Haven is scheduled to be played on that turf field according to the schedule on the CIAC.
- Sept. 12 — at Staples, 7 p.m.
- Sept. 19 — North Haven, 7 p.m.*
- Sept. 26 — Hamden, 7 p.m.**
- Oct. 3 — at Hillhouse, 6 p.m. (at East Haven)*
- Oct. 10 — at Amity, 7 p.m.**
- Oct. 18 — West Haven, 1 p.m. (Xavier High)*
- Oct. 24 — at Notre Dame-West Haven, 7 p.m.*
- Oct. 31 — Hand, 7 p.m.*
- Nov. 7 — at Shelton, 7 p.m.**
- Nov. 14 — Fairfield Prep, 7 p.m.**
* — conference games
** — division games