- Coach: Reggie Lytle (2nd year, 5-6)
- Conference: SCC Division II West
- Playoff Class: M (514 boys enrollment)
- Home: Bowen Field, New Haven (undergoing renovations this season). Will play home games at East Haven, Wilbur Cross and Veterans Field in West Haven
- 2013 Record: 5-6
- 2014 Kickoff: Darien, Sept. 12, at Wilbur Cross, 4 p.m.
- Captains: Scott Marks, Dave Johnson, Jalen Gardner
- Team page: Max Preps page
- Corey Maddox, 5-9, 180, Sr., QB
- Kourouma Forel, 5-10, 210, Sr., RB
- Dave Johnson, 6-2, 280, Sr., OL
- Scott Marks, 5-10, 215, Sr., MLB
- Jalen Gardner, 6-2, 275, Sr., DL
- Dontrese Cogswell, 5-9, 160, Sr., DB
Harold Cooper, RB/DB; Richie Washington, RB/DB; Tarrol Stafford, OL/DL; Godfrey Harris, WR; Paul Riles, LB; Jerod Williams, LB; William Barnes, LB.
Lytle, who begins his second season at the helm, believes the Academics have enough returning talent to be competitive, which means a challenge for the SCC Division II West title.
But Hillhouse will have to adjust to life without Cooper, who’s now at the University of Rhode Island. Cooper rushed for 1,711 yards and 25 touchdowns last season, and finished his career with 6,661 yards and 99 touchdowns.
Replacing Cooper will not be easy. Forel is expected to be the featured back after rushing for 220 yards and one touchdown as a junior. Maddox returns at quarterback, where he passed for 568 yards and seven touchdowns and rushed for 521 yards and three scores last season.
In addition to losing Cooper to graduation, the Academics also have to replace several starters on defense. Stafford, who made 109 total tackles and 10 sacks as a senior last season, Riles, Williams and Barnes will all be missed on that side of the ball. Marks (56 tackles) and Gardner (84 tackles, 7.5 sacks) will anchor that unit this season.
Surpassing last season’s win total will certainly be a challenge. Hillhouse’s division schedule (Branford, Guilford, Law, Lyman Hall), though, is favorable. The rest of its slate, not so much.
The Academics open at home against a loaded Darien squad. Hillhouse’s crossover games are against Hand and Xavier, while its SCC Division II schedule includes such teams as Sheehan, Foran and North Haven. The Academics close out the season against crosstown rival Wilbur Cross on Thanksgiving.
It was a trying off season for Hillhouse, who dealt with the loss of one of its own, 15-year old Jacob Craggett. Craggett was shot and killed earlier this month.
- Sept. 12 — Darien, 4 p.m. (at Wilbur Cross)
- Sept. 19 — at Hand, 7 p.m.*
- Sept. 26 — Law, 6:30 p.m. (at East Haven)**
- Oct. 3 — Xavier, 6 p.m. (at East Haven)*
- Oct. 10 — at Lyman Hall, 7 p.m.**
- Oct. 17 — at Sheehan, 6 p.m.*
- Oct. 24 — Foran, 6 p.m. (at East Haven)*
- Oct. 30 — at North Haven, 7 p.m.*
- Nov. 7 — Guilford, 4 p.m. (at Veterans Field)**
- Nov. 14 — at Branford, 7 p.m.**
- Nov. 27 — at Wilbur Cross, 10:30 a.m.*
* — conference game
** — division game