Above: With injuries to Jack Cunningham and Tucker Ecke, senior Andrew Yamin will be the go-to guy for the Rams on both offense and defense.
- Coach: Don Drust (3rd year, 10-11)
- Conference: SCC Division I East
- Playoff Class: LL (824 boys enrollment)
- Home: Maclary Athletic Complex
- 2013 Record: 4-7
- 2014 Kickoff: Ridgefield, Sept. 10, 6 p.m.
- Captains: Jack Cunningham, Andrew Yamin, Cullen Clairmont, Tony Marcucilli, Tyler D’Errico
- Team website: MaxPreps page
- Jack Cunningham, 5-9, 190, Sr., RB/DB
- Andrew Yamin, 5-11, 205, Sr., RB/LB
- Cullen Clairmont, 6-2, 275, Sr., OL/DL
- Tony Marcucilli, 5-11, 205, Sr, FB/LB
- Tyler D’Errico, 6-0, 210, Sr., LB
- Colin Thorne, 6-1, 185, Sr., WR/DB
- Will Eddy, 6-3, 255, Sr., OL/DL
- Connor Fountain, 6-0, 225, Sr., OL/DL
- Josh MacNiven, 5-11, 175, Sr., QB
- Tucker Ecke, 5-9, 165, Sr., QB/DB
- Joe El-Sharnouby, 6-0, 195, Sr., WR
- Matt Covel, 6-4, 245, Sr., TE/DL
- Matt Rand, 6-2, 240, Sr., OL/DL
- Matt Bronson, 5-9, 175, Sr., WR
- R.J. Oris, 5-10, 190, Jr., QB/DB
- Nate Hillburn, 5-10, 185, Jr., DB
- Chris Hillburn, 5-10, 225, Jr., DL
Mark Dietrich, WR/DB; Joe Strollo, OL/DL; Owen Rockwell, WR; Dan Lisath, DL.
The Rams have been hit hard by injury in the off season. Ecke, who was expected to start at quarterback, is likely out for the season after dislocating his right shoulder, his non-throwing shoulder, during Cheshire’s annual spring game. Ecke, the son of former Cheshire coach Mark Ecke, now in his first season as coach at Danbury, had surgery in late July. Tucker Ecke has yet to return to the practice field.
The Rams, fortunately, have other options at quarterback. MacNiven handled most of the passing duties last season, completing 57 of 109 passes for 741 yards. Oris and junior Troy Richmond should also contribute at the position.
Cunningham, who rushed for 941 yards and 10 touchdowns as a junior, is also expected to miss significant time as he recovers from surgery to repair the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee. Cunningham sustained the injury during the lacrosse season.
With Cunningham’s return uncertain, the majority of the touches out of the backfield will go to Yamin, who rushed 134 times for 872 yards and seven touchdowns last season. Yamin has good size and speed, and he’s also be a threat to catch passes out of the backfield.
Clairmont, who’s drawn interest from Ivy and NESCAC schools, will anchor an offensive line that also includes Eddy, Fountain and Rand.
Yamin (72 tackles last season) will also contribute on defense. Leading the way on that unit is D’Errico, who made 111 tackles and recovered two fumbles last season. Thorne (85 tackles, one interception) and Marcucilli (43 tackles, two interceptions) also return.
Five teams (Ridgefield, West Haven, Hand, Fairfield Prep, Southington) on Cheshire’s schedule made the playoffs last season, so there is little room for error if the Rams expect to improve on last season’s record.
- Sept. 10 — Ridgefield, 6 p.m.
- Sept. 19 — at Lyman Hall, 7 p.m.*
- Sept. 26 — at West Haven, 7 p.m.**
- Oct. 2 — Sheehan, 7 p.m.*
- Oct. 10 — at Hand, 7 p.m.**
- Oct. 17 — at Hamden, 7 p.m.*
- Oct. 24 — Fairfield Prep, 7 p.m.*
- Oct. 31 — Notre Dame-West Haven, 7 p.m.**
- Nov. 7 — at Amity, 7 p.m.*
- Nov. 14 — Wilbur Cross, 7 p.m.**
- Nov. 27 — at Southington, 10 a.m.