- Coach: John Limone (2nd year, 0-11)
- Conference: SCC Division II West
- Playoff Class: L (535 boys enrollment)
- Home: MacVeigh Athletic Complex
- 2013 Record: 0-11
- 2014 Kickoff: at Notre Dame-West Haven, Sept. 19, 7 p.m.
- Team website: MaxPreps page
- Carl Williams, 5-9, 170, Sr., RB
- Zach DeGoursey, 5-10, 200, Jr., QB
- Jake Roberts, 6-0, 190, Jr., OL
- Colin Tracy, 6-2, 215, Sr., LB
- Luke DiStasio, 5-9, 165, Jr., CB
- Russell Morales, 5-10, 175, Jr., LB
- Noah DeGoursey, 5-10, 185, Jr., S
Unlike most teams, Branford will have to wait an extra week to kickoff its 2014 campaign. The Hornets’ season opener is not until Sept. 19, at highly touted Notre Dame-West Haven.
Branford is still in search of its first victory of the John Limone era. The Hornets went 0-11 in Limone’s first season last year. Branford scored just 113 points in 2013 and was shutout twice. In three other losses it scored less than 10 points. Branford has not tasted victory since defeating rival East Haven in the 2012 regular season finale.
The Hornets do benefit from the return of DeGoursey, who saw significant action as a sophomore. Williams also returns after rushing 169 times for 669 yards and six touchdowns last season. Tracy, the nephew of former Branford coach Mike Tracy, is expected to be one of the team’s top receivers and a force on defense.
Snapping the losing streak will not be easy. After Notre Dame, Branford hosts Wilton and Fairfield Prep, the defending Class LL runners-up, in back-to-back weeks. North Haven, a Class L semifinalist from a year ago, is also on the docket.
- Sept 19 — at Notre Dame-West Haven, 7 p.m.*
- Sept. 26 — Wilton, 7 p.m.
- Oct. 3 — Fairfield Prep. 7 p.m.*
- Oct. 10 — at Guilford, 7 p.m.**
- Oct. 17 — at North Haven, 7 p.m.
- Oct. 24 — Plainfield, 6:30 p.m.
- Oct. 30 — Lyman Hall, 7 p.m.**
- Nov. 7 — at Law, 7 p.m.**
- Nov. 14 — Hillhouse, 7 p.m.**
- Nov. 21 — Sheehan, 7 p.m.
- Nov. 27 — at East Haven, 10:30 a.m.*