- Coach: Bert Mozealous (5th year, 17-24)
- Conference: SCC Division I West
- Playoff Class: LL (825 boys enrollment)
- Home: Sim Field, Woodbridge
- 2013 Record: 5-6
- 2014 Kickoff: at Seymour, Sept. 11, 7 p.m.
- Captains: Matt Attolino, Jack Demirjian, Sean Grenier
- Team page: Max Preps page
- Matt Attolino, 5-9, 160, Sr., WR/DB
- Jack Demirjian, 5-11, 195, Sr., OL/LB
- Sean Grenier, 5-10, 165, QB/WR/LB
- Austin Mosley, 6-1, 155, Sr., WR
- Jesse Kwolek, 6-2, 220, Sr., OL/DL
- Matt Post, 6-2, 190, Sr., TE/LB
- Dchaun Wilson, 5-9, 160, Sr., RB/DB
- Josh Arata, 5-9, 195, Sr., LB
- Kevin Nusdeo, 6-1, 180, Jr., WR/DB
- Nick Photos, 5-10, 270, Jr., OL/DL
- Wilson Goodwin, 5-10, 235, Jr., OL/DL
- Mike DeVito, 5-10, 165, Jr., QB/DB
- Andrew Tudino, 6-1, 245, Jr., OL
Dave Ryan, QB; Joe Choiniere, RB/DB; Ben Feola, WR/LB; Lyle Luth, K/P; Tyler Burns, UTL (Transferred to Choate)
With five starters back on both sides of the ball, Mozealous believes his team will be competitive within the SCC.
If the Spartans are to improve upon last season’s record, though, they will have to do so without some of their top skill guys. Amity will need to replace its quarterback after Ryan graduated. Ryan, who set a state record by throwing 41 completions in a loss to Fairfield Prep, completed 198 of 324 passes for 2,347 yards and 20 touchdowns as a senior.
The Spartans hoped to fill the void by starting Tyler Burns at quarterback, but Burns transferred to Choate during the summer. Burns had caught 66 passes for 651yards and four touchdowns as a junior.
Burns’ decision to transfer was a huge blow, but the Spartans have other options at that position, including Grenier and DeVito.
Amity must also deal with the graduation of Feola (55 catches, 849 yards, seven touchdowns), Choiniere (39 catches, 330 yards, four touchdowns) and Luth (36 PATs, four field goals, 37.38 yards per punt).
Nusdeo caught 10 passes last season and tallied 213 total yards. But the rest of the Spartans’ returning skill players are all untested. With only 11 seniors, the development of the underclassmen will be important to Amity’s fortunes this season.
There’s a bit more experience on defense. Attolino (60 tackles), Grenier (41 tackles), Demirjian (61 tackles) all saw action last season and should see their roles expanded this year.
Amity opens the season with three straight road games (Seymour, Sheehan, Shelton), then play three in a row (Lyman Hall, Xavier, Notre Dame-West Haven) at home.
- Sept. 11 — at Seymour, 7 p.m.
- Sept. 19 — at Sheehan, 6 p.m.*
- Sept. 26 — at Shelton, 7 p.m.**
- Oct. 2 — Lyman Hall, 7 p.m.*
- Oct. 10 — Xavier, 7 p.m.**
- Oct. 17 — Notre Dame-West Haven, 7 p.m.*
- Oct. 24 — at Wilbur Cross, 2:30 p.m.*
- Oct. 31 — Fairfield Prep, 7 p.m.**
- Nov. 7 — Cheshire, 7 p.m.*
- Nov. 14 — at Hamden, 7 p.m.**
- Nov. 27 — at North Haven, 10:30 a.m.*
* — conference game
** — division game