GAME OF THE WEEK
Fairfield Prep (1-1) at Notre Dame-West Haven (1-1)
When: Friday, 7 p.m.
Where: Veterans Field, West Haven
Players to Watch: Fairfield Prep: Colton Smith, Jr., QB/DB; John DelliSanti, Jr., WR/S; Joe Ganim. Jr., RB/DB; Notre Dame-West Haven: Cam Tucker, Sr., RB/LB; Sal Esposito, Sr., FB/LB; Blake Rice, Sr., QB/DB.
What to look for: Fairfield Prep is coming off a heartbreaking 36-34 loss to St. Joseph last week, a game in which the Hogs scored on a Hail Mary pass in the closing seconds. Notre Dame’s loss also came at the hands of St. Joseph, 47-28 in Week 1. Although early in the season, this is as close to a must-win game as there is. With brutal schedules ahead for both teams, two or three losses may not be good enough to reach the postseason. Fairfield Prep has size up front, and has some talented skill players in Smith (18 of 28, 204 yards, 2 TDs, 138 yards rushing, 2 TDs), Ganim (24 carries, 150 yards) and DelliSanti (8 catches, 85 yards, 2 TDs). Notre Dame counters with Tucker (41 carries, 326 yards, 6 TDs), receivers Nico Ragaini and Drew Arciuolo, who have combined to catch 12 passes, Rice (17 of 31, 289 yards, 2 TDs) and Esposito (10 tackles). Notre Dame has won the last four contests against the Jesuits, including a 21-14 thriller last season.Register’s pick: Fairfield Prep.
- Platt Tech (0-2) at Prince Tech (2-0), 3:45 p.m.: Prince Tech quarterback Miguel Cartagena has thrown for 332 yards and six touchdowns. Register’s Pick: Prince Tech.
- Coventry/Windham Tech/Bolton (0-2) at Haddam-Killingworth (0-2), 6:30 p.m.: It will be a long season for the team on the losing end of this contest. Register’s Pick: Coventry/Windham Tech/Bolton.
- Gilbert/Northwestern (2-0) at North Branford (2-1), 6:30 p.m.: North Branford is off to a surprising 2-0 start. But can the T’birds stop Tony Ortiz and the Yellowjackets’ potent running game? Register’s Pick: Gilbert/Northwestern.
- Windsor Locks/Suffield/East Granby (2-0) at Morgan (2-0), 6:30 p.m.: Morgan’s Jake Ward is one of the top running backs in the Pequot Conference. He has rushed for 444 yards and nine touchdowns on the young season. Register’s Pick: Morgan.
- No. 1 Ansonia (2-0) at Holy Cross (1-1), 7 p.m.: Holy Cross’ defense is good, but not good enough to contain the Chargers. Register’s Pick: Ansonia.
- Bunnell (1-1) at No. 8 Masuk (2-0), 7 p.m.: Bunnell may have the skill players to keep up with Masuk. Time to find out. Register’s Pick: Masuk.
- No. 9 Xavier (1-1) at Hamden (2-1), 7 p.m.: Xavier needs to prove it’s worthy of its No. 9 ranking in the Register Poll. Register’s Pick: Xavier.
- Barlow (2-0) at Stratford (1-1), 7 p.m.: Barlow can’t afford to look ahead to next week’s showdown with Newtown. Register’s Pick: Barlow.Hillhouse (0-2) at Law (0-2), 7 p.m.: Talk about must-wins. This is one of those for defending Class M champion Hillhouse. Register’s Pick: Hillhouse.
- Hyde (1-1) at Granby (0-2), 7 p.m.: Hyde’s schedule is favorable. It may not be challenged again until back-to-back contests with Morgan and North Branford beginning on Nov. 15. Register’s Pick: Hyde.
- Lyman Hall (0-2) at Guilford (0-2), 7 p.m.: Guilford had playoff hopes entering this season. Winning here would be a necessary start to achieving that goal. Register’s Pick: Guilford.
- North Haven (2-0) at East Haven (1-1), 7 p.m.: North Haven beat Xavier, but was shunned by Register poll voters, who failed to put the Indians in the Top 10. As if that wasn’t motivation enough, now the Indians will take the field in memory of Matthew Jacques, the 6-year-old North Haven boy who passed away on Thursday after a lifelong illness. The team donated the proceeds from their spring game to Jacques’ family. Register’s Pick: North Haven.
- Notre Dame-Fairfield (0-2) at Oxford (1-1), 7 p.m.: Oxford allowed 26 points in the fourth quarter of their loss to New Fairfield last week. That won’t win you many games. Register’s Pick: Oxford.
- Seymour (1-1) at Wolcott (1-1), 7 p.m.: Quarterback Vince Gambino can single-handedly keep Wolcott in every game. He accounted for 333 yards and five touchdowns in the Eagles’ overtime loss to Naugatuck last week. Register’s Pick: Wolcott.
- Sheehan (1-1) at Foran (1-1), 7 p.m.: Foran played better in a loss to West Haven than Sheehan did in a loss to Amity. Register’s Pick: Foran.
- Shelton (2-0) at Amity (2-0), 7 p.m.: Some folks still don’t think Shelton’s for real. Head down to Woodbridge to find out for yourselves. Register’s Pick: Shelton.
- West Haven (1-1) at Cheshire (1-1), 7 p.m.: This game is traditionally one of the most intense contests of the season. Not sure if Cheshire matches up well with West Haven’s talented skill players. Register’s Pick: West Haven.
- Wilbur Cross (1-1) at Hand (1-1), 7 p.m.: Wilbur Cross would like nothing more than to spoil the party at the Surf Club. Hand plays its first home game Friday night on the newly renovated complex in Madison. Register’s Pick: Hand.
- Woodland (2-0) at Kennedy (0-2), 10 a.m.: It’s likely that not even the early start can slow down quarterback Tanner Kingsley and the Woodland offense. Register’s Pick: Woodland.
- Branford (0-2) at Wilton (1-1), 2:30 p.m.: Second time in three weeks that Branford plays a non-league game. Hornets lost to Woodland in Week 1. Register’s Pick: Wilton.
- O’Brien Tech (1-0) at Wilcox Tech (0-2), at Falcon Field, 6 p.m.: Good chance for O’Brien Tech to move to 2-0. Register’s Pick: O’Brien Tech.
Last week: 19-5. Season: 43-12.
- Notre Dame-WH’s Cam Tucker among state’s elite
- Glastonbury’s Ollie learned football leadership from basketball dad
- SPB’S AUDIBLES: Your guide to statewide football games
- POOCH’S PICKS: Week 3
- GAMETIMECT/REGISTER TOP 10: Ansonia still No. 1; No North Haven love
- THE DAY COACHES POLL: A tie at the top
- MIKE PUCCI’S H.S. NOTEBOOK: Hopkins welcomes new field; Cross improving
- RAY CURREN’S INSIDE THE SCC: North Haven makes a statement
- THE FCIAC BEAT: St. Joseph adds another chapter; Staples welcomes back Lesch
- THE SWC BEAT: McCourt, New Fairfield Rebels yell
- THE NVL BEAT: ‘Brunoball’ a smash hit in Naugy
- STATE FOOTBALL BEAT: Pequot grounds-n-pounds; Capital (Prep) Punishment
- Laxworm’s ‘The Show’ high school football podcast: Jack Cochran guest