- COACH — MIKE MARONE (4th year, 22-8)
- CONFERENCE — Pequot Sassacus
- PLAYOFF CLASS — S (co-op)
- HOME — Old Saybrook High School Turf Field
- 2017 RECORD — 8-2
- 2018 OPENER — Sept. 8 vs. Gilbert/Northwestern, Noon
- TEAM WEBSITE — Maxpreps
- DAN ALMADA, Sr. RB (6-0, 190)
- DAVE McCAIN, Sr. OL/DL (5-11, 190)
- ANTONIO CASTRO, Sr. OL/DL (5-8, 260)
- LUKE DUFFY, Sr. LB (6-0)
- GAVIN DUTHIE, Sr. OL/DL (6-0, 300)
- MAX THOMAS, Sr. CB (6-0, 170)
- DEVON MOSHIER, Sr. CB (5-9, 170)
- LANDIS TWOMEY, Sr. NG (6-0, 210)
QB/FS Victor Pascoe (All-State); RB/LB Vincent Dyer (All-State), OL/DL Jay Long.
Mike Marone has done wonders for the Old Saybrook/Westbrook program. Now just in his fourth season at the helm, the Rams have compiled three-consecutive winning seasons including two of the programs’ best seasons, back-to-back.
Led by versatile talents Victor Pascoe and Vincent Dyer, the Rams won eight games in each of the last two seasons and put up big numbers while doing so.
But, alas, neither season culminated in a Class S playoff berth. The Rams lost a key game late, and in the uber-tough Class S field, 8-2 was not enough to qualify, meaning Pascoe and Dyer didn’t get to strut their stuff on a state stage
And now, they’ve graduated, taking 3,200 yards of total offense with them — nearly all of OSW’s production.
So 2018 begins the search for new offensive stars.
The good news is a large senior class returns — including three offensive linemen led by All-Pequot selection Dave McCain and All-Pequot nose guard Landis Twomey — to carry on the fight.
Dan Almada, a captain, is slated to take over at tailback and at linebacker, where he averaged 4.1 tackles a game, including 7.5 for a loss. Fellow captain Luke Duffy joins him at linebacker after averaging 5.8 tackles a game (7 for a loss).
Twomey is the top-returning tackler with 6 1/2 tackles per game, including 16 for a loss, and 3 1/2 sacks. Devon Moshier and Max Thomas return in the defensive secondary.
Defense might have to carry the Rams until the offense comes around.
Fortunately, OSW’s schedule doesn’t really go uphill until it faces top Sassacus contenders Valley/Old Lyme, Cromwell/Portland and Coginchaug/Hale Ray East Hampton in consecutive weeks at midseason.
- Sept. 8 — GILBERT/NORTHWESTERN*, 2 p.m.
- Sept. 21 — at Granby Memorial, 7 p.m.
- Sept. 29 — at Lewis Mills**, Noon
- Oct. 6 — VALLEY REGIONAL/OLD LYME**, 2 p.m.
- Oct. 20 — CROMWELL/PORTLAND**, Noon
- Oct. 27 — at Cog./H.Ray/E.Hamp**, 1 p.m.
- Nov. 3 — NORTH BRANFORD**, Noon
- Nov. 10 — HADDAM-KILLINGWORTH**, noon p.m..
- Nov. 15 — WOODSTOCK, 3 p.m.
- Nov. 21 — at Morgan**, 6:30 p.m.
Home games in CAPS