- Coach: Melvin Wells
- Conference: Pequot Conference South Division
- Playoff Class: S (166 boys enrollment)
- Home: Wilbur Cross Athletic Complex, New Haven
- 2013 Record: 5-6
- 2014 Kickoff: Lewis Mills, Sept. 13, noon
- Captains: Carlton Tillery, James Murphy, Quentin Thompson
- Team page: Max Preps page
- Carlton Tillery, 5-7, 155, Sr., WR/CB
- James Murphy, 5-11, 230, Sr., OL/LB
- Quentin Thompson, 6-0, 270, Sr., OL/DL
- Ronnie Freeman, 6-0, 190, Sr., RB/WR
- Dwayne Hunter-Parker, 5-11, 175, Sr., QB/FS
- Aaron Wright, 5-11, 205, Sr., OL/DL
- Jarrod Walker, 5-11, 210, Jr., OL/DE
Wells believes the Howling Wolves can improve upon last season’s 5-6 record. Hyde lost several heartbreakers last season, losing by one to Coginchaug (21-20) and falling short against Enfield (13-9) and Coventry/Windham Tech/Bolton (21-18).
The Howling Wolves have just seven seniors, but nine returning players either started or saw action last season. Wells is hoping that experience translates to a better record.
Among the returnees is Hunter-Parker, who rushed 153 times for 1,148 yards and 10 touchdowns. He also threw for 474 yards, but Hyde’s offense is run-first. Freeman also returns in the backfield after rushing 60 times for 628 yards and eight scores as a junior. Freeman was also the team’s top receiver a year ago. Tillery should also be a threat in the open field.
Four of five return on the offensive line, including Murphy and Thompson.
Of Hyde’s five wins last year, three were by shutout. That unit should be strong again. Tillery (51 tackles) and Hunter-Parker (46 tackles) return in the secondary. Thompson, Wright and Walker will anchor the defensive line, while Murphy returns at linebacker.
The Howling Wolves open with three consecutive home games before going on the road for three in a row. Wells said his team learned some lessons and grew up from last season. He expects Hyde to be competitive within the division.
- Sept. 13 — Lewis Mills, noon*
- Sept. 20 — Coginchaug, noon**
- Sept. 27 — Morgan, 12:30 p.m.**
- Oct. 3 — at Haddam-Killingworth, 6:30 p.m.**
- Oct. 11 — at Old Saybrook/Westbrook, 1 p.m.**
- Oct. 17 — at Ellington/Somers, 7 p.m.*
- Oct. 25 — Cromwell, noon*
- Nov. 1 — Nonnewaug, noon*
- Nov. 8 — at Canton, 1:30 p.m.*
- Nov. 14 — at Valley Regional/Old Lyme, 6:30 p.m.**
- Nov. 26 — at North Branford, 6 p.m.**
* — Conference game
** — Division game