- Coach: Scott Salius (7th season, 44-21)
- Conference: Pequot Uncas
- Playoff Class: M (402 boys enrolled)
- Home: Van Why Field at Gilbert H.S.
- 2013 Record: 9-2, Pequot West Division Champs
- 2014 Kickoff: Sept. 12 at Enfield, 7 p.m.
- Captains: Mitchell Jackson, Paxton Franklin, Matt Nieves
- Team website: Maxpreps page
- Mitchell Jackson, Sr., OT, DT (6-4 240)
- Paxton Franklin, Sr., TB (6-3 205)
- Aiden Tellier, Sr., QB (6-0 190)
- Matt Nieves, Sr., Slot, LB (5-9 180)
- Tony Malarney, Sr., DT (5-10 175)
- Ben Shiffer, Jr., DB (6-0 165)
Tony Ortiz, RB (All-State, 1,833 yards rushing, 18 touchdowns), John Lippincott, QB (All-Pequot, 1,454 passing yards, 15 touchdowns, 655 rushing yards and seven touchdowns), Nick Pedrolini WR-DB and Seth Dayton WR-DB.
After posting a 9-2 record, the most wins for a season in program history, and a Class M playoff appearance, the Yellowjackets are going through a rebuilding season.
For the first time in seven seasons a Lippincott won’t be starting at quarterback for the Yellowjackets (John, the last three years, and brother Bobby the four years previous). The Yellowjackets also lost 1,833 yards and 18 touchdowns on the ground from All-State selection, Tony Ortiz.
They also lost playmakers, Nick Pedrolini and Seth Dayton.
To replace these players, coach Scott Salius has had a couple of players shift positions.
Aiden Tellier, who played running back last year, is taking over as the Yellowjackets quarterback, bringing a head down and move out of the way attitude to the position. Paxton Franklin, who led the team last season in receptions (19) and touchdown catches (5), has moved to running back. He caught the game-winning touchdown pass in the Yellowjackets’ come-from-behind win in overtime against Ellington/Somers.
Franklin is a good athlete who will translate well to the new position.
“We have a couple of quarterbacks who run better than they throw,” Salius said in an earlier story, explaining Franklin’s move from the receiving ranks. “When we’re trying to get the ball to Paxton, it’s easier to hand it to him this year.”
With the offense rebuilding, the defense led by Mitchell Jackson and Matt Nieves will have to lead the Yellowjackets until the offense gets going.
Salius sees his team in the middle of conference this season, but with the potential to move up.
- Sept. 12 — At Enfield, 7 p.m. **
- Sept. 20 — SMSA/University, 1 p.m. **
- Sept. 26 — At Coventry/Windham Tech/Bolton, 7 p.m. **
- Oct. 4 — Windsor Locks/Suffield/East Granby, 1 p.m. **
- Oct. 10 — At Stafford/East Windsor, 6:30 p.m. **
- Oct. 17 — At Valley Regional/Old Lyme, 6:30 p.m. *
- Oct. 25 — Ellington/Somers, 1 p.m. **
- Nov. 1 — Canton, 1 p.m. **
- Nov. 8 — North Branford, 1 p.m. *
- Nov. 14 — At Granby, 7 p.m. **
- Nov. 27 — At Avon, 10 a.m. **
** Division game