- COACH — JUDE KELLY (14th year, 61-63)
- CONFERENCE — NVL Iron
- PLAYOFF CLASS — Class S (225 boys enrolled)
- HOME — St. Paul HS
- 2017 RECORD — 7-3
- 2018 OPENER — Sept. 6 vs. Seymour, 6 p.m.
- TEAM WEBSITE — Maxpreps
OL/DL Dom Aiello (All-State), OL/DL Eric Langland, RB/DB Damien Rabis, RB/LB Chris Dionne
St. Paul “has a system and a coach that make them dangerous,” says one rival coach. Another calls the Falcons a sleeper in the NVL.
That veteran coach, Jude Kelly, is a little — OK, a lot — more circumspect. He sees a team that’s intelligent, but which lacks experience and size.
The Falcons started 5-0 last year for the first time since a 6-0 start in 2008, the last year of the Nutmeg Conference. They won their first game, even, for the first time since 2010.
But they have just one starting lineman returning, graduating a group that included all-state offensive lineman Dom Aiello and All-NVL defensive lineman Eric Langland. Two of their top four rushers are departed. There are just a handful of starters back on both sides of the ball.
Still, Conner Bogdanski has returned off a 1,000-yard season. Kevin Ashworth is back at quarterback in the wishbone; he was also an All-NVL Copper Division defensive back.
Kelly says it’s a competitive group that listens and works well together.
The Falcons will switch places with Woodland this year, moving into the Iron Division while the Hawks take their place in the Copper.
- Sept. 6 — SEYMOUR,* 6 p.m.
- Sept. 14 — WATERTOWN,** 7 p.m.
- Sept. 21 — at Naugatuck,** 7 p.m.
- Sept. 28 — at Ansonia,* 7 p.m.
- Oct. 5 — WOODLAND,* 7 p.m.
- Oct. 19 — at Crosby,* 7 p.m.
- Oct. 26 — WOLCOTT,** 7 p.m.
- Nov. 3 — KENNEDY,* 7 p.m.
- Nov. 9 — at Torrington,** 6:30 p.m.
- Nov. 21 — at Oxford,* 6 p.m.
Home games in CAPS