Lou Marinelli stopped by the Game Time show on WFSB/CPTV Sports this week to talk about his undefeated New Canaan football, which (oh by the way) was recently ranked No. 1 by the state media in the GameTimeCT/Register Poll.
As talk drifted to his team’s prospects, and being No. 1 ahead of Ansonia (it’s an honor, but we’ll look at it on Dec. 14,” he said) co-host John Holt brought up the topic of an open playoff division, which has long been a favorite idea of fans who want to see a true state championship and has recently been a topic of conversation with CIAC Football committee idea man Steve Filippone of Hand.
“I would this year for sure,” Marinelli said, laughing. But his actual opinion wavered somewhat. “If you had open division. …I would hate to beat the team that goes into that (tournament) when they could have won a division and then gets knocked out in first round. I’m not sure coaches will buy into that. I know Steve mentioned it. It’s certainly something to thing about.
“I wouldn’t mind it this year.”
ALSO on the show:
New Haven’s Bob Rafferty gives us his thoughts on who should be No. 1.
AND look at this, CROSS COUNTRY state open champions Fairfield Prep’s Christian Alvarado and Staples Hannah DeBalsi in an extensive interview.
It was quite the action-packed show.
Game Time on CPTV Sports airs every Thursday at 7 p.m.
- Week 9’s Games to Watch: It’s elimination weekend in SCC
- Prep football: Hopkins hopes to finish on positive note vs. Hamden Hall
- Ansonia’s Brockett talks Chargers on national football show
- New Canaan’s Marinelli talks No. 1 Rams and an open division on WFSB
- Sean Patrick Bowley’s Audibles: Statewide guide to Week 9
- Pooch’s Picks: Predictions for Week 9
- No. 2 Ansonia survives Seymour’s upset bid
- GameTimeCT / Register Top 10 Poll: We have a new No. 1
- Regional football notebook: Guilford has sights on first division title
- Tuesday Morning Quarterback: Top Players, teams of Week 8; Look ahead to Week 9
- State Football beat: The Week 9 FCIAC, SWC, NVL championship scenarios
- The Day of New London previews, to broadcast New London-Middletown
- GameTimeCT Week 8 Plays of the Week
- Ray Curren’s Inside the SCC: The Week 8 running diary