Note: This notebook was scheduled to run alongside Mike Pucci’s High School Football notebook on Tuesday, but didn’t appear due to a web error. We’re republishing it now.
PLAYS OF THE WEEK
OFFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- Amity RB David Buono: Rushed for 165 yards and five touchdowns in a 48-13 win over Sheehan on Friday.
- Capital/Classicial/Achievement RB Bennie Fulse: Rushed for 234 yards and three touchdowns in a 53-14 win over New London on Saturday.
- Hyde QB Dwayne Hunter-Parker: Rushed for 172 yards and one touchdown and passed for 124 yards and two touchdowns in a 27-0 win over Old Saybrook/Westbrook on Saturday. Hunter-Parker also returned an interception 78 yards for a touchdown.
- Morgan RB Jake Ward: Rushed for 262 yards and five touchdowns in a 46-8 win over Housatonic/Wamogo on Saturday.
DEFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- New Fairfield’s Mike McCourt: Scored on a 100-yard interception return in a 46-25 win over Oxford on Friday.
- North Haven’s Fred Sanchez: Made two interceptions in a 42-28 win over Xavier on Friday.
- Notre Dame-West Haven’s Matthew Abati: Scored on a 40-yard fumble return in a 48-7 win over Branford on Friday.
- Ridgefield’s Noah Broder: Made seven tackles and two interceptions in a 41-20 win over Fairfield Ludlowe on Friday.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- Hamden’s Nigel Tappin: Returned a punt 52 yards for a touchdown in a 45-0 win over East Haven on Friday.
- Hand’s Tyler Phan: Kicked a 19-yard field goal with 5.7 seconds remaining in the Tigers’ 28-26 victory over Hillhouse on Friday.
- Nonnewaug’s Mark Violette: Scored on a 70-yard punt return in a 26-6 win over Haddam-Killingworth on Saturday.
- Valley Regional/Old Lyme’s Evan Smith: Scored on a 93-yard kickoff return in a 61-14 win over Coginchaug on Friday.
TEAMS OF THE WEEK
- Capital/Classical/Achievement: The Class S Trailblazers defeated the Class L Whalers 53-14 on Saturday to improve to 2-0.
- Naugatuck: Jason Bradley scored the winning touchdown on a 3-yard run in overtime to lift the Greyhounds (2-0) to a 42-36 win over Wolcott on Friday.
- North Haven: The Indians knocked off the No. 2 Falcons 42-28 on Friday.
- Wilbur Cross: Stevie Swinson’s 10-yard touchdown run in overtime gave the Governors a 27-24 victory on Friday.
ON THE AIR
- West Haven (1-1) at Cheshire (1-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: WELI 960-AM
- Ansonia (2-0) at Holy Cross (1-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: WATR 1320-AM
- New Canaan (2-0) at Greenwich (1-1), Saturday, 4 p.m. — WGCH 1490-AM
- Xavier (1-1) at Hamden (2-0), Friday, 7 p.m. — CNX Radio (WCNX 1710-AM)
- Northwest Catholic (2-0) at Bloomfield (2-0), Friday, 7 p.m. — CPTVSports (check local listings)
GET OUT AND GO
- Gilbert/NW Regional (2-0) at North Branford (2-0), Friday, 6:30 p.m.: A young North Branford team has been impressive so far, but it now faces a Yellow Jackets team that has rushed for an average of 370 yards per game.
- Bristol Eastern (2-0) at Middletown (2-0), Friday, 7 p.m.: Bristol Eastern has already beaten Berlin and Hartford Public. They now set their sights on a bigger prize — knocking off the Blue Dragons, who are ranked in the Register Top 10.
- Northwest Catholic (2-0) at Bloomfield (2-0), Friday, 7 p.m.: Yes, it’s early in the season but this contest just may end up determining the CCC Division III West champion.
- Fairfield Prep (1-1) at Notre Dame-West Haven (1-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: Fairfield Prep suffered a heartbreaking loss to St. Joseph last week, while the Green Knights earned their first victory. This one has all the makings of a classic.
- New Canaan (2-0) at Greenwich (1-1), Saturday, 4 p.m.: Greenwich’s loss to Darien last week took some luster off this contest, but the Cardinals have the talent to win here.
- GAMETIMECT/REGISTER TOP 10: Ansonia still No. 1; No North Haven love
- THE DAY COACHES POLL: A tie at the top
- MIKE PUCCI’S H.S. NOTEBOOK: Hopkins welcomes new field; Cross improving
- RAY CURREN’S INSIDE THE SCC: North Haven makes a statement
- THE FCIAC BEAT: St. Joseph adds another chapter; Staples welcomes back Lesch
- THE SWC BEAT: McCourt, New Fairfield Rebels yell
- THE NVL BEAT: ‘Brunoball’ a smash hit in Naugy
- STATE FOOTBALL BEAT: Pequot grounds-n-pounds; Capital (Prep) Punishment
- Laxworm’s ‘The Show’ high school football podcast: Jack Cochran guest