A look at the top performances and teams of Week 3.
OFFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- Ansonia’s Arkeel Newsome: Carried 11 times for 309 yards and three touchdowns and also caught a touchdown pass in a 62-13 win over Holy Cross on Friday.
- Hamden Hall’s T.J. Linta: Completed 16 of 22 passes for 322 yards and six touchdowns and scored two rushing touchdowns in a 54-12 win over St. Luke’s on Friday.
- Hillhouse’s Harold Cooper: Rushed 15 times for 341 yards and five touchdowns in a 41-14 win over Law on Friday.
- Montville’s Jeremiah Crowley: Rushed for a state-record 526 yards and seven touchdowns in a 49-37 win over Stonington on Friday. Crowley broke the single-game record of 518 yards held by Ansonia’s Alex Thomas since 2007.
DEFENSIVE PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- Derby’s Tyrae Small: Made three interceptions in a 44-33 win over Wilby on Thursday.
- Fairfield Prep’s Nick Crowle: Returned a fumble 24 yards for a touchdown in a 49-14 win over Notre Dame-West Haven on Friday.
- Hillhouse’s Tarrol Stafford: Made 10 tackles and a sack in a 41-14 win over Law on Friday.
- O’Brien Tech’s Jason Diotalevi: Made 20 total tackles, including eight solo and two for a loss, and recovered a fumble in a 36-30 win over Wilcox Tech on Saturday.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
- Farmington’s Anthony Carpenter: Scored on a 68-yard punt return in a 42-12 win over Maloney on Friday.
- Masuk’s Chris Rubis: Made a 31-yard field goal and kicked five extra points in a 44-20 win over Bunnell on Friday.
- Weaver’s Mark Jennings: Returned a kickoff 87 yards for a touchdown in a 37-0 win over Rockville on Saturday.
- West Haven’s Zatrell Lyons: Scored on a 75-yard kickoff return in a 48-20 win over Cheshire on Friday.
TEAMS OF THE WEEK
- Fairfield Warde: Snapped an eight-game losing streak with a 13-7 victory over Trinity Catholic on Friday.
- O’Brien Tech: Trailed 24-0 at halftime before rallying for a 36-30 victory over Wilcox Tech on Saturday.
- Weaver: Snapped a 23-game losing streak with a 37-0 victory over Rockville on Saturday. The Beavers last win came in November of 2010.
- Wolcott: Overcame a 34-6 deficit to defeat Seymour 48-41 on Friday. Vincent Gambino connected with Jay Pelletier on a 21-yard touchdown pass for the game-winner.
PLAYS OF THE WEEK
ON THE AIR
- North Haven (3-0) at Hand (2-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: 960WELI, 960WELI.com, iheart radio
GET OUT AND GO
- Bloomfield (3-0) at Rocky Hill (3-0), Friday, 7 p.m.: OK, so this might decide the CCC Division III West title.
- North Haven (3-0) at Hand (2-1), Friday, 7 p.m.: Hand has improved since being blown out by New Canaan in Week 1.
- NFA (2-0) at Glastonbury (2-1), Friday, 6:30 p.m.: NFA has been impressive in both of its victories. Glastonbury lost a squeaker to unbeaten Southington in Week 1 but has performed well since. Could be the state’s best game this weekend.
- Darien (3-0) at St. Joseph (3-0), Saturday, 2:30 p.m.: Or will this one be? Both teams can score. Should be an exciting contest.