As one team falls from the ranks of the unbeaten, another continues right along. Here is what caught my eye.
• Cat-ch them is you can: Seymour has been running roughshod through the Naugatuck Valley League and has won 13 straight.
The Wildcats started the season with seven straight sweeps and have 12 overall. The only team to win a game against Seymour was Oxford. Only five games remain for Seymour and three of them appear to be winnable. The Wildcats face Ansonia and Oxford, teams Seymour has already defeated, and Wilby.
However, on Tuesday Seymour will take on Woodland, which is also undefeated (11-0).
• Cool Cats: Shari Minalga had 14 digs in a sweep of Ansonia on Oct. 8. Jill Murphy had 10 kills and Aleska Fyrc had 10 digs in a sweep of Torrington on Friday.
• Can you dig it?!: Valley Regional (9-5) has been a very good team in the Shoreline. However, the Warriors jumped from solid team to a possible contender after ending Hale-Ray’s unbeaten season on Friday in a 3-1 home victory.
Prior to the victory, Valley had lost the season series with Morgan and dropped a contest to East Hampton, which was also undefeated. East Hampton suffered its first loss to Hale-Ray.
Hale-Ray was 12-0 before the loss, but Daniella Alvarado’s six aces and eight digs and Carly Zuppe’s 17 digs did the trick for Valley.
• Valley Tough: Michaela Pace had 21 assists, five kills and seven digs in a loss to Morgan.
PLAYER OF THE WEEK
• Caitlyn Sibiskie of Coginchaug had 21 assists, seven aces and four blocks in a 3-1 triumph over Cromwell on Sept. 21 to capture Player of the Week honors with 591 out of the 1,179 votes.
Vote for this week’s player of the week by Oct. 22 at noon. The winner will be revealed in the next Dig This.