What caught my eye last week
The Southern Connecticut Conference tournament heads to the semifinals as Amity battles Career and Hand plays Mercy for the first time since Dec. 15, 2009. A lot has changed since then. Here’s what caught my eye.:
Stories of Note in 2009
• President Barack Obama was inaugurated as the 44th president of the United States.
• In May, Rachel Alexandra became the first filly to win the Preakness Stakes in 85 years.
• Michael Jackson died on June 25, the same day as Farrah Fawcett.
• Alex Rodgriguez admitted to using steroids. Sound familiar, no?
• News of Tiger Woods’ infidelity surfaced after a car accident in late November.
Songs of Note in 2009
• Black Eyed Peas: I Gotta Feeling.
• Beyonce: Single Ladies. (She wasn’t then and isn’t now, but whatever.)
• Jason Mraz: I’m Yours.
• Kanye West: Heartless.
• Jamie Foxx and T-Pain: Blame It.
Vote for me
• The best forward in the area, as voted by the fans, was Mercy’s Maura Fitzpatrick. She received 46 percent of the 404 votes. Thanks to all who voted.
So Fitzpatrick is your forward, what about your center? Here are the candidates:
Vote at www.gametimect.com. Poll closes Saturday at noon.
The best quote from last week.
“I just wanted it for them (teammates). It’s every captain’s dream to make that shot.”
— Housatonic senior captain Heather Kearns after nailing a game-winning 3-pointer in a 46-44 victory over Northwestern Saturday.
• SCC Final, Wednesday, 7:30 p.m., at TD Bank Sports Center: If it’s anything like Career’s two overtime thriller over Mercy 63-55, then we’re in for a treat at the Bank.