Thanks to (another) exciting week in the SCC, there’s been a shakeup in this week’s edition of the GameTimeCT / New Haven Register Top 10.
In their place are the Top 10 poll debuts of Ledyard (7-0) and Wethersfield (7-0).
Ledyard, which has ripped through its ECC Medium opponents this year, debuts at No. 9. Wethersfield jumps into No. 10, eight points ahead of Xavier at No. 11 and nine ahead of Cheshire at No. 12.
The top of the poll remained unchanged with Southington, Darien, New Canaan, Newtown and Shelton comprising the first five. St. Joseph, Windsor and Ansonia move up to fill the spots vacated by Cheshire and Xavier.
Here’s the Top 10 heading into a Halloween-shortened Week 8.
GameTimeCT / Register Top 10: WEEK8
- Last week: Def. Conard 41-6.
- This week: vs. Newington, Saturday, 1 p.m.
- Bottom line: Jasen Rose completed 20 of 25 passes for 353 yards and five touchdowns against Conard.
- Last week: Def. Ridgefield 50-23.
- This week: at Wilton, Friday, 6 p.m.
- Bottom line: Todd Herget caught seven passes for 119 yards and two scores in the victory over Ridgefield.
|3. NEW CANAAN||6-0||1||696||3||L|
- Last week: Def. Staples 35-2.
- This week: at St. Joseph, Saturday, 1:30 p.m.
- Bottom line: The Rams take the road for a huge FCIAC showdown with rival St. Joseph.
- Last week: Def. Brookfield 21-14.
- This week: at Weston, Friday, 7 p.m.
- Bottom line: Ryan Shaw made six tackles, a sack and recovered a fumble against Brookfield.
- Last week: Def. Hand 33-20.
- This week: at Hamden, Thursday, 7 p.m.
- Bottom line: Senior receiver Chris Kanios broke his collarbone and is out of action for at least remainder of the regular season.
|6. ST. JOSEPH||6-1||0||485||9||M|
- Last week: Def. Trinity Catholic 43-8.
- This week: vs. New Canaan, Saturday, 1;30 p.m.
- Bottom line: The Hogs will look for some revenge against New Canaan, a team that defeated St. Joe’s twice last season.
- Last week: Def. Bristol Eastern 44-0.
- This week: at Maloney, Friday, 6:30 p.m.
- Bottom line: The Warriors have shut out their last four opponents.
- Last week: Def. Holy Cross 42-6.
- This week: vs. Wolcott, Thursday, 6 p.m.
- Bottom line: The Chargers rebounded from their first loss in nearly four years to post a convincing victory over Holy Cross, led by Tajik Bagley’s four touchdowns.
- Last week: Def. Killingly 49-6.
- This week: vs. Windham, Friday, 6:30 p.m.
- Bottom line: Unbeaten Windham visits this week, then the Colonels host New London next week. Crunch time for Ledyard.
- Last week: Def. Fermi 37-0.
- This week: at RHAM, Saturday, 1 p.m.
- Bottom line: The Eagles reach the Top 10 for the first time this season.
Cheshire (6), Xavier (7)
First-place votes in parentheses and points tabulated on a 30-28-26-24-22-20-18-16-14-12-11-10-9-8-7 basis.
Others receiving votes
Xavier (6-1), 272; Cheshire (6-1), 271; Fairfield Prep (5-2), 249; Notre Dame-West Haven (5-2), 158; Middletown (6-1), 142; North Haven (6-1), 128; Valley Regional/Old Lyme (7-0), 108; Brookfield (6-1), 106; Berlin (7-0), 67; Naugatuck (5-1), 16; McMahon (5-1) and Windham (6-0), 14.
The following voted
Mary Albl, Fairfield Minuteman; Marc Allard, Norwich Bulletin; Bob Barton, New Haven Register; Bill Bloxsom, Hersam-Acorn; Doug Bonjour, Connecticut Post; Sean Patrick Bowley, New Haven Register; Jim Bransfield, Middletown Press; Kyle Brennan, Waterbury Republican-American; George DeMaio, WELI; Gerry deSimas, The Collinsville Press; Mike DiMauro, The Day of New London; Scott Ericson, Stamford Advocate; Francesco Graziano, CPTV Sports; Ned Griffen, The Day of New London; John Holt, WFSB-3; Mark Jaffee, Waterbury Republican-American; Ken Lipshez, Meriden-Record Journal; Mike Madera, Elm City Newspapers; Joe Morelli, New Haven Register; John Nash, Norwalk Hour; Kevin Nathan, WVIT-30; Pete Paguaga, Elm City Newspapers; Dave Phillips, Shore Line Newspapers; Mike Pucci, New Haven Register; Dave Ruden, The Ruden Report; Tom Yantz, Hartford Courant; Jimmy Zanor, Middletown Press.
Poll compiled by: Mike Pucci.