It’s been a relatively quiet offseason in the realm of Connecticut high school football, at least compared to the last four seasons. But no longer.
This week saw a flurry of activity in the coaching realm with three new coaches hired at Woodstock Academy, Avon, Bacon Academy and a sudden and surprising vacancy at Woodland.
On Monday, Avon hired former Central Connecticut State/Newington/Bristol Central coach Sal Cintorino to replace Jim Caouette, who resigned in December due to work commitments.
Later Monday, Woodstock Academy tapped Daryl Daleen to take over for Clay Killingsworth (who’s since returned to NFA). He was formally announced during a press conference Tuesday afternoon.
Meanwhile, Bacon Academy announced it had hired assistant Dave Mason to take over for Erik Larka, who led the Bobcats to their first playoff berth and returned to coach at Law, his alma mater.
Perhaps the most surprising of all, Kyle Brennan of the Republican American confirmed rumors that Chris Anderson had once again left Woodland — the program he founded — just one season into his second stint as coach. (We still haven’t heard from Anderson regarding his decision). Update – May 4: Defensive coordinator Chris Moffo has been promoted to take the reins.
These changes came in one week-long burst and they followed a few other notable vacancies from across the region.
By no means have there been as many moves as 2013 or 2014. But still, we figured we’d dust off a yearly offseason feature — The Coaching Carousel! — and take stock of who’s gone where.
Editor’s Note: This might not be a comprehensive list. Since we’re starting this now, in April, there’s bound to be someone we’ve missed. So let us know in the comments.
The Coaching Carousel: 2016
Updated August 15
- New coach: SAL CINTORINO (former CCSU, Newington, Bristol Central coach)
- Old coach: JIM CAOUETTE (resigned)
- New coach: CT Rep. JOE ARESIMOWICZ (D-Berlin) (Berlin assistant, CT House Majority Leader)
- Old coach: JOHN CAPODICE (fired following recruiting investigation)
- New coach: MIKE GUY (former Housatonic Regional coach)
- Old coach: CHRIS CURRIER (resigned)
- New coach: STEVE CROCE (journeyman OC, coached team on Thanksgiving)
- Old coach: NICK D’ANGELO (resigned in protest at midseason)
- New Coach: ERIK SHORTELL (offensive coordinator elevated to head coach)
- Old Coach: RICK GADOURY (resigned June 9 for personal reasons)
- New coach: TOM DYER (Hamden athletic director, former Hillhouse coach)
- Old coach: TODD DOWTY (resigned).
- New coach: MARK FARNSWORTH (elevated from assistant to interim HC)
- Old Coach: JIM BUONOCORE (resigned to become asst. principal)
- New coach: TIM SHEA (formerly at Post University; Former Woodland coach)
- Old coach: CHRIS FARRELL (unknown, Plainville posted vacancy June 6)
- New coach: KEVIN QUINN (from Bulkeley/Weaver)
- Old coach: GRAHAM MARTIN (retired)
- New coach: JAMAR GREENE (restored after appeal to school board)
- Old coach: JAMAR GREENE (contract not renewed)
- New coach: ALEX BACKUS (defensive coordinator, alumnus)
- Old coach: PAT COX (athletic director)
- New Coach: RANDALL PROSE (defensive coordinator)
- Old coach: BRIAN CRUDDEN (resigned before season)
- New coach: DARYL DALEEN (CCSU special teams coordinator)
- Old coach: CLAY KILLINGSWORTH (resigned, returned to NFA)