Mike Eagle, who spent the last five seasons at Morgan, has stepped down to become the head coach at Guilford.
Eagle said being a resident of Guilford and the father of two boys played a factor in his decision to leave Morgan. Eagle is a middle school physical education and health teacher in Berlin but says there’s a potential for him to get a job in the Guilford school system.
“I think it’s huge,” Eagle said. “It’s huge for my family, and huge professionally, just like it was huge when I was hired at Morgan. If you look at the youth league, and the size of the school, we think we can do a pretty nice job here. And get the kids to believe they’re pretty good football players.”
Eagle compiled a 28-25 record with the Huskies, members of the Pequot Conference. He led Morgan to the Class S state quarterfinals in 2013, the program’s first playoff appearance since 2000. The Huskies went 8-3 this past fall and just missed qualifying again in Class S. Eagle takes over for Tom Unger at Guilford. Unger stepped down at the end of the season citing the desire to spend more time with his family.
Eagle told the Morgan players of his decision on Monday and was formally introduced at Guilford on Tuesday. Assistant coaches Mike Aresimowicz, Tom Drew and Kyle Murphy will follow Eagle to Guilford from Morgan.
“It wasn’t an easy decision, but it was a decision I had to make,” Eagle said. “I built some great relationships in Clinton (at Morgan) with some outstanding kids, and with faculty and parents that were supportive.”
Guilford went 2-9 last season. The Indians played SCC powers Shelton, West Haven and Hand. Eagle, a 1990 Xavier graduate, says he’s looking forward to the competition in one of the state’s premier leagues.
“If you’re a competitive coach like I am, you want to play the best,” Eagle said. “For me personally and professionally, to coach in the SCC, one of the best leagues in the state, I welcome the challenge. I can’t wait. It’s going to be fun.”
Guilford athletic director Jake Jarvis released the following statement on Tuesday:
“We are very excited about our new head football coach, Mike Eagle. We feel that Coach Eagle is a great fit to take over and lead our football program here at Guilford High School. Mike did a tremendous job at Morgan High School in Clinton and we look forward to him bringing the same passion and love of the game to our student athletes here at Guilford.”
- Amity — Bert Mozelous resigned | Ted Czepiga hired
- Bridgeport Central — Mike Farrell hired to replace Brian Gordon.
- Bristol Eastern – Mike Achrangelo resigned after season | Paul Phillippon rumored to return (unconfirmed)
- Bunnell – Doug Cotto fired at midseason
- Canton – Paul Phillippon resigned after three seasons, citing low numbers
- Coginchaug – John Bozzi resigns | Nick DeAngelo hired
- East Haven – Anthony Lucibello resigned at midseason | Melvin Wells hired
- Fairfield Prep – Tom Shea resigns, defensive coordinator Keith Hellstern hired
- Fitch – Jordan Panucci not renewed after season | Mike Ellis hired from Waterford
- Greenwich — Rich Albonizio pressured to resign after 18 years
- Guilford – Tom Unger resigned | Morgan coach Mike Eagle hired
- Hyde – Melvin Wells resigns to take job at East Haven
- Lyman Hall – Rob Marone fired at midseason | Interim Aiden Lynch hired
- Morgan — Mike Eagle hired at Guilford |
- Notre Dame-Fairfield – Ted Boynton resigned after two seasons
- Northwest Catholic – Mike Tyler retired at end of season | Brett Quinion hired
- Old Saybrook / Westbrook – Vacancy | Mike Marone hired
- Simsbury — Jeff Osborne resigned | Dave Masters hired
- Waterford – Mike Ellis resigned after season | Assistant John Strecker hired
- Wilby — Geno Capuano resigned Jan 3 | Peter Flammia hired