Brandon McCormick has accepted the head coach position at Hyde, he confirmed Wednesday. The position still needs to be approved by the Board of Education. McCormick said a meeting is scheduled for April 6 to approve the hire.
McCormick has been on staff at Hyde since 2008, most notably as the team’s defensive co-ordinator. McCormick previously served as an assistant at East Haven, his alma mater, under Rusty Dunne, and later at West Haven under Ed McCarthy, the state leader in coaching victories. McCormick takes over for Melvin Wells, who stepped down in January to become the head man at East Haven.
“I’m young, but I’ve been coaching for 17 years,” McCormick, 34, said. “I had the opportunity to coach under some really great guys, like Rusty and Eddie and, of course, Melvin. I learned a lot.”
McCormick was an assistant at Hyde when the Howling Wolves won the Class S state championship in 2009.
Hyde’s finished 5-6 in each of the past two seasons. McCormick said it’s likely that the Howling Wolves will co-op with Career this fall, although details are still being finalized.
“The numbers have been down a little bit, and the school lost some kids,” McCormick said. “The ultimate goal is to get the program back to the winning side, and get the kids prepared for that run. The ultimate goal is to get to the state playoffs and take it from there.”
- Amity — Bert Mozelous resigned | Ted Czepiga hired
- Bridgeport Central – Mike Farrell hired to replace Brian Gordon.
- Bristol Eastern – Mike Achrangelo resigned after season | Paul Phillippon rumored to return (unconfirmed)
- Bunnell – Doug Cotto fired at midseason
- Canton – Paul Phillippon resigned after three seasons, citing low numbers
- Coginchaug – John Bozzi resigns | Nick DeAngelo hired
- East Haven – Anthony Lucibello resigned at midseason | Melvin Wells hired
- Fairfield Prep – Tom Shea resigns, defensive coordinator Keith Hellstern hired
- Fitch – Jordan Panucci not renewed after season | Mike Ellis hired from Waterford
- Greenwich — Rich Albonizio pressured to resign after 18 years
- Guilford – Tom Unger resigned | Morgan coach Mike Eagle hired
- Hyde – Melvin Wells resigns to take job at East Haven | Brandon McCormick hired
- Lyman Hall – Rob Marone fired at midseason | Interim Aiden Lynch hired
- Morgan – Mike Eagle hired at Guilford |
- Notre Dame-Fairfield – Ted Boynton resigned after two seasons
- Northwest Catholic – Mike Tyler retired at end of season | Brett Quinion hired
- Old Saybrook / Westbrook – Vacancy | Mike Marone hired
- Platt Tech — Jimmy Benjamin hired
- Simsbury — Jeff Osborne resigned | Dave Masters hired
- Waterford – Mike Ellis resigned after season | Assistant John Strecker hired
- Wilby – Geno Capuano resigned Jan 3 | Peter Flammia hired