Since the start of fall practice for the UConn football program there has been a small mystery surrounding the absence of former Southington start quarterback Jasen Rose from the team. In meeting with the media in recent weeks the Huskies head coach Bob Diaco had been vague with his answers about Rose stating that he was “not feeling well.”
On Wednesday the official UConn football Twitter account sent out a tweet with an official statement from Rose:
Official statement from Jay Rose pic.twitter.com/r6Mh1jRjLD
— UConn Football (@UConnFootball) August 24, 2016
Diaco said in a press conference, “I wish him the best, I wish his family the best. He is a special young man.”
Rose is the highest profile in-state recruit during the recent Diaco era. Rose originally announced his decision to attend the University of Connecticut on Sept. 17, 2015 with a press conference where he said his final choice came down to where he would be able to continue playing quarterback.
Then on National Signing Day on Feb. 3, 2016 when Rose officially signed the papers to play for the Huskies he mentioned that he would in fact not be playing quarterback, but a hybrid tight end “F” position. This was to get Rose on the field sooner.
Rose won two state championships with Southington in 2013 and 2014 and led the Blue Knights to the Class LL semifinals in 2016 before losing to Darien. Rose was a New Haven Register/GameTimeCT First Team All-State selection in 2015, Walter Camp All-Connecticut selection and CHSCA First Team All-State pick.