Peter Nye, a former assistant at Hand, has been named the head coach at Morgan, Nye confirmed Thursday. Nye said the hire was approved on Monday.
Nye replaces Mike Eagle, who stepped down in March to become the head coach at Guilford. Nye, a Clinton resident, is active in that community and is on the committee to build a new high school in the town. Nye, who is the social studies coordinator at Hand High, has four children, including one who is a freshman at Morgan.
“I care about the town,” Nye said. “I think Morgan has a great opportunity to grow these kids into gentlemen. I’m an educator, and I feel this program is a place where I can have a positive impact on the kids’ lives.”
Nye spent two seasons as an assistant under Eagle in 2010 and 2011.
“The offense he (Eagle) ran (the spread) was the offense we ran at Hand,” Nye said.
The Huskies graduate the bulk of their offensive line, in addition to standout running back Jake Ward, who ran for 1,888 yards and 28 touchdowns last season. Ward, who earned Register All-Area honors as a senior, finished his career with more than 6,000 rushing yards.
Nye was an assistant at Hand from 1999-2009. He was instrumental in transitioning the Tigers from a run-based offense to the spread.
Morgan finished 8-3 this past fall and just missed qualifying for the state playoffs. Morgan reached the Class S state quarterfinals in 2013, the program’s first playoff appearance since 2000. Among the Huskies expected to return this season are quarterback Chucky Kostek, receivers Gabe Eriksen and Mateo Zumpano and guard John Lee.
“I’m trying to get as many kids in my services as possible,” Nye said. “I expect to throw the ball. At Hand, we said it was OK to go out of the shotgun, it was OK to throw screens, it was OK to throw the ball down field. Throwing the ball more gives small, quick kids an opportunity to play more.”
- Amity — Bert Mozelous resigned | Ted Czepiga hired
- Bridgeport Central – Mike Farrell hired to replace Brian Gordon.
- Bristol Eastern – Mike Achrangelo resigned after season | Paul Phillippon rumored to return (unconfirmed)
- Bunnell – Doug Cotto fired at midseason | Interim coach Sean Mignone hired
- Canton – Paul Phillippon resigned after three seasons, citing low numbers
- Coginchaug – John Bozzi resigns | Nick DeAngelo hired
- East Haven – Anthony Lucibello resigned at midseason | Melvin Wells hired
- E.O. Smith — Jody Minotti resigned
- Fairfield Prep – Tom Shea resigns, defensive coordinator Keith Hellstern hired
- Fitch – Jordan Panucci not renewed after season | Mike Ellis hired from Waterford
- Greenwich — Rich Albonizio pressured to resign after 18 years | NC OC John Marinelli hired
- Guilford – Tom Unger resigned | Morgan coach Mike Eagle hired
- Hyde – Melvin Wells resigns to take job at East Haven | Brandon McCormick hired
- Lyman Hall – Rob Marone fired at midseason | Interim Aiden Lynch hired
- Morgan – Mike Eagle hired at Guilford | Former Hand assistant Peter Nye hired
- Notre Dame-Fairfield – Ted Boynton resigned after two seasons | Chris Sadler hired
- Northwest Catholic – Mike Tyler retired at end of season | Brett Quinion hired
- Old Saybrook / Westbrook – Vacancy | Mike Marone hired
- Platt Tech — Jimmy Benjamin hired
- Sacred Heart / Kaynor Tech — Cort Johnson resigned | Phil Dawson hired
- Simsbury — Jeff Osborne resigned | Dave Masters hired
- Waterford – Mike Ellis resigned after season | Assistant John Strecker hired
- Wilby – Geno Capuano resigned Jan 3 | Peter Flammia hired