Former Waterford coach Mike Ellis Jr. has been hired to take over the football program at Fitch, the school where his father once coached.
Ellis, who was 60-66 and made two playoff appearances over 12 seasons at Waterford, resigned last month.
He is a teacher at Waterford, but lives in Mystic and his daughters attend Fitch. Notably, Ellis’ father, Mike Sr., coached Fitch from 1977-91.
The Norwich Bulletin reported Ellis’ father will re-join the Fitch staff.
“I didn’t expect this. It just kind of worked out that way,” Ellis told The Bulletin. “It allows me to do what I want to do at the school where my daughters are. It’s a great opportunity.”
Fitch is coming off a 4-18 run under former coach Jordan Panucci, whose contract wasn’t renewed following last year’s 0-11 season. Fitch last made the playoffs in 2012 under Mike Emery.
“Mike (Ellis) has shown a commitment to supporting the academic, community and athletic interests of his football program. We are excited for the future of Fitch Football under his leadership,” Fitch Athletic Director Marc Romano said in a statement.
Coaching changes 2015:
- Amity — Bert Mozelous resigned
- Bristol Eastern – Mike Achrangelo resigned after season
- Bunnell – Doug Cotto fired at midseason
- Canton — Paul Phillippon resigned after three seasons, citing low numbers
- Coginchaug – John Bozzi resigns | Nick DeAngelo hired
- East Haven – Anthony Lucibello resigned at midseason | Melvin Wells hired
- Fitch – Jordan Panucci not renewed after season
- Greenwich — Rich Albonizio pressured to resign after 18 years
- Guilford – Tom Unger resigned
- Hyde — Melvin Wells resigns to take job at East Haven
- Lyman Hall – Rob Marone fired at midseason
- Notre Dame-Fairfield – Ted Boynton resigned after two seasons
- Northwest Catholic – Mike Tyler retired at end of season
- Old Saybrook / Westbrook — Vacancy
- Simsbury — Jeff Osborne resigned
- Waterford – Mike Ellis resigned after season | Takes over at Fitch
Did we miss anybody? Let us know.