Aiden Lynch, who served half a season as an interim coach after Lyman Hall fired Rob Marone for conducting an illegal practice, will officially take over the job. This is Lynch’s first head coaching gig.
Lynch, a 2000 Lyman Hall graduate, was unanimously approved as head coach at a Wallingford board of education meeting Wednesday night. Lynch, who played football at Southern Connecticut State for three seasons, has been on the Trojans’ staff since 2003. Lynch has served in various capacities with the football program, most notably as the offensive and defensive line coach. Lynch also coaches the throwers for the school’s indoor and outdoor track team.
“My hopes are definitely very high,” Lynch said. “My standards are going to be very high. I truly believe there is talent here. There’s a great deal of it in the younger classes.”
He took over for Marone on Oct. 1 — three games into the season — when the school self-reported an offseason training violation to the CIAC. Marone was officially let go shortly thereafter.
Under Lynch, Lyman Hall went 1-7 and finished the year with a 1-10 record. Lyman Hall’s only victory was a 42-14 non-conference win over St. Bernard. Since reaching the Class M playoffs in 2010, the Trojans have gone just 7-35.
“The most important thing is changing the mindset, changing the culture,” Lynch said. “It’s what we’ve been trying to do the last couple of years, doing the right things the right way. I don’t think we’re going to go from the bottom to the top overnight, but there’s no reason we can’t compete with anyone on our schedule.”
Coaching changes 2015:
- Amity — Bert Mozelous resigned | Ted Czepiga hired
- Bristol Eastern – Mike Achrangelo resigned after season
- Bunnell – Doug Cotto fired at midseason
- Canton – Paul Phillippon resigned after three seasons, citing low numbers
- Coginchaug – John Bozzi resigns | Nick DeAngelo hired
- East Haven – Anthony Lucibello resigned at midseason | Melvin Wells hired
- Fairfield Prep — Tom Shea resigns, defensive coordinator Keith Hellstern hired
- Fitch – Jordan Panucci not renewed after season
- Greenwich — Rich Albonizio pressured to resign after 18 years
- Guilford – Tom Unger resigned
- Hyde – Melvin Wells resigns to take job at East Haven
- Lyman Hall – Rob Marone fired at midseason | Interim Aiden Lynch hired
- Notre Dame-Fairfield – Ted Boynton resigned after two seasons
- Northwest Catholic – Mike Tyler retired at end of season
- Old Saybrook / Westbrook – Vacancy
- Simsbury — Jeff Osborne resigned
- Waterford – Mike Ellis resigned after season | Takes over at Fitch
Did we miss anybody? Let us know.