- Coach: Marce Petroccio (22nd year, 185-56)
- Conference: FCIAC West
- Playoff Class: LL (930 boys enrollment)
- Home: Staples Stadium
- 2013 Record: 8-3 (8-2 FCIAC)
- 2014 Kickoff: Sept. 12 vs Xavier, 7 p.m.
- Captains: Jake Melnick, Teddy Coogan, Jackson Hoebermann, Mat Jacowleff
- Team website: Staplesfootball.com | MaxPreps page
- Teddy Coogan, 6-2, 190, Sr., QB
- Jake Melnick, 5-10, 180, Sr., WR
- Jackson Ward, 6-3, 290, Jr., C
- Nick Esposito, 6-4, 210, Sr., LB
- Jackson Hoebermann, 6-2, 255, Sr., DL
Jack Massie, QB, Patrick Lesch RB, Nick Ward OL/DL
A year after missing the state playoffs with a season-ending loss to Greenwich on Thanksgiving, Staples is looking to get back to the postseason and compete for an FCIAC and state championship.
The Wreckers will be led by a more experienced line with 6-3, 290 junior Jackson Ward at center. Senior Nick Esposito (6-4, LB) and Jackson Hoebermann (6-2, DL) will lead the defense. Esposito finished last fall with a team-best 102 tackles.
Fellow senior and co-captain Jake Melnick registered 82 tackles and finished with 14 catches for 188 yards. His offensive role should expand this fall as Staples will have a few holes to fill.
Gone is four-year starter and dual-threat quarterback Jack Massie, who amassed more than 1,400 passing yards and ran for 618 yards on the ground last year. Senior Teddy Coogan will step into that role for Staples as he saw limited time at QB. Coogan finished with four touchdown and 138 yards on the ground and 236 receiving yards.
The Wreckers will also have to find another back with the graduation of Patrick Lesch (1,011 yards) and Jack Greenwald (703). But as in years past that’s been a position they’ve always had athletes ready to go.
The Wreckers get a big test to start the season hosting Xavier on Sept. 12.Last season the two teams battled it out as Xavier escaped with a 30-22 victory. The Wreckers also face defending league champion New Canaan on the road Oct. 4, vs. Trumbull in Week 8 and Greenwich, a preseason FCIAC favorite, on Thanksgiving.
- Sept. 12 – Xavier, 7 p.m.
- Sept. 19 – at Wilton*, 7 p.m.
- Sept. 27 – Westhill*, 1:30 p.m.
- Oct. 2 – Stamford*, 7 p.m.
- Oct. 10 – at Fairfield Ludlowe*, 7 p.m.
- Oct. 18 – at Danbury*, 1:30 p.m.
- Oct. 24 – at New Canaan*, 7 p.m.
- Oct. 31 – Trumbull*, 7 p.m.
- Nov. 7 – Bridgeport Central*, 7 p.m.
- Nov. 14 – at Norwalk*, 7 p.m.
- Nov. 27 – at Greenwich*, 10 a.m.
* Conference game