- COACH — PHIL TREGLIA (1st year)
- CONFERENCE — FCIAC East
- PLAYOFF CLASS — Class LL (991 boys enrolled)
- HOME — Staples Stadium
- 2017 RECORD — 6-4
- 2018 OPENER — Sept 7 at Bridgeport Central, 7 p.m.
- TEAM WEBSITE — WreckersFootball.com | Maxpreps | TWITTER — @StaplesFootball1
- KEVIN RABACS, Sr., WR/DB (5-10, 170)
- JAKE THAW, Jr., QB (6-1, 178)
- TIM LUCIANO, Sr., RB (5-10, 195)
- JAKE RIZY, Jr., OT (6-5, 250)
- BLAKE RUNKLE, Sr., DE (6-3, 230)
- GEORGE HARRINGTON, Sr., NG/RB, (6-0, 260)
- MATT ALMANSI, Sr., DE (6-4, 232)
- COLE BROCKWELL, Sr., LB (6-0, 215)
- DEAN GENDELS, Sr., LB (6-2, 210)
- MICHAEL THOMPSON, Sr., DB, (6-1, 180)
RB/OLB Harris Levi, WR/OLB Max Longergan, QB Daniel Thompson, WR/DB Ben Pearl
After a long and arduous search for a new coach to replace Staples legend Marce Petroccio, the Wreckers found their man across the border in Phil Treglia.
So what happens now? The Wreckers move forward, the new coach said.
“I’ve gotta tell you, the kids have been great,” Treglia said. “We’re ready to go and we’re working hard. We’re not looking at the past. We’re only looking to handle the present. We’re embracing our tradition of Staples football and the foundation that’s been built, but we’re looking to the future.”
The Wreckers did take some big graduation hits from a year ago, losing their starting quarterback, running back and a top receiver.
How Staples fills those positions with the next generation of players will answer a lot of the program’s questions moving into a chapter of the program’s storied history.
“Day by day, segment by segment at practice, the kids are buying in,” Treglia said. “The terminology is a lot of different than in the past.”
Treglia credits the program’s returning seniors for keeping the returning players on the straight and narrow—and in the weight room—as everybody awaited word on the new coach.
“The senior leadership has been wonderful and it’s trickled down to the younger kids,” Treglia said. “The seniors are very cohesive and they’re great kids. They’re playing football for the right reasons.”
Treglia, a former college defensive back at SUNY-Cortland, looks to employ a spread offense and multi-front defense this season.
“We’re to be moving guys around and putting them in places to be successful,” he said. “We just want to put our stamp on the 2018 season. There’s no pressure. We’re coaching, we’re having fun with the kids. High school football should be fun. We’re out here making memories. That’s what we’re all about.”
- Sept. 7 at Bridgeport Central** 7 p.m.
- Sept. 14 WILTON** 7 p.m.
- Sept. 21 MCMAHON** 7 p.m.
- Sept. 28 at Ridgefield** 7 p.m.
- Oct. 6 at Darien** 2 p.m.
- Oct. 19 NORWALK* 7 p.m.
- Oct. 27 at Warde** 11 a.m.
- Nov. 2 ST.. JOSEPH** 7 p.m.
- Nov. 9 STAMFORD** 7 p.m.
- Nov. 22 at Greenwich* 10 a.m.Home games in CAPS
* CONFERENCE game