Above: Highlight reel for New Canaan DL Zach Allen, one of the state’s top returning defensive players who is committed to Northwestern.
- Coach: Lou Marinelli (36th year as head coach, 34th at New Canaan, 297-97-7)
- Conference: FCIAC East
- Playoff Class: L (640 boys enrollment)
- Home: James Dunning Jr. Field
- 2013 Record: 14-1 (FCIAC champions, Class L Champions)
- 2014 Kickoff: Sept. 12 at Hand, 7 p.m.
- Captains: Alex LaPolice, Zach Allen, Frank Cognetta, Jim Keneally
- Team websites: Ramfootball.com | MaxPreps page
- Alex LaPolice 6-2, 190, Sr., QB/WR
- Frank Cognetta, 5-11, 2055, Sr., RB
- Jim Keneally, 6-0, 245, Sr., OL
- Lucas Niang, 6-6, 280, Jr., OL
- Kyle Smith, 6-2, 220, Jr., WR
- Gardner Read, 5-10, 260, Jr., OL
- Zach Allen, 6-6, 250, Sr. OLB
- Cass Knox, 6-1, 215, Jr. OLB
- Sterling O’Hara, 6-3, 185, Sr., S
- Chris Keeffe, 6-0, 190, Sr., DL
- Peter Swindell, Jr. K
Nick Cascione QB, Michael Root and Cole Harris ILB, Connor Buck DL, Cole Turpin WR, Beau Santero, Joao Rocha, Ryan Mckenna, Michael Donnelly OL, Teddy Bossidy CB, Michael DiCosmo CB, Jack Gilio WR, Robbie Paul S, Alex Dobbin DL.
The Rams enter the season as the defending FCIAC and Class L state champs, ending 2013 with just one loss, to rival Darien on Thanksgiving. They return big names in Alex LaPolice, Zach Allen and Frank Cognetta who can all change the game at a moments notice. Cognetta, however, broke a bone in his foot during the offseason and New Canaan could miss him for half the season, at least. Injuries have also sidelined all-state kicker Peter Swindell for an undetermined amount of time.
Other key names are gone too, 28 seniors in all, including graduated quarterback Nick Cascione and all-state defensive players like Cole Harris, Michael Root and Connor Buck. It will be a young team with the early question of who will step up for the always dangerous Rams?
Junior Mike Collins will be vying for the starting QB spot. He played in seven games last year accumulating 282 passing yards and three touchdowns. Allen, who is committed to Northwestern, led the Rams last fall in sacks (11.5). The senior co-captain will be counted on to take charge of a young defensive unit.
The multi-talented LaPolice, who’s committed to Harvard, finished 2013 with 619 receiving yards and will be a target on the field. Cognetta returns as the Rams’ top rusher as he ran for 1,225 yards and 15 scores.
New Canaan will get an early test of just how good it is when it travels to Hand on Sept. 12. for the first game of the season.
2014 Schedule [updated]
- Sept. 12 – at Daniel Hand, 7 p.m.
- Sept. 19 – Bassick*, 7 p.m.
- Sept. 27 - Greenwich*, 1:30 p.m.
- Oct. 2 – at Fairfield Warde*, 6 p.m.
- Oct. 10 – at Danbury*, 7 p.m.
- Oct. 18 — Dracut, Mass., 4 p.m.
- Oct. 24 – Staples*, 7 p.m.
- Nov. 1 – at St. Joseph*, 1:30 p.m.
- Nov. 7 – Wilton*, 7 p.m.
- Nov. 15 – at Trinity Catholic*, 1 p.m.
- Nov. 27 – at Darien*, 10:30 a.m.