Doug Cotto confirmed Wednesday that he is no longer Bunnell’s football coach.
Cotto, 32, spent just a year and a half as Bunnell’s coach. He had been placed on administrative leave following allegations that he’d made ‘inappropriate comments’ to one of his players early last week.
Cotto declined to comment further, “There’s no point,” he said.
Stratford superintendent Janet Robinson told News12 last week she was unaware of the nature of the comments when the complaint reached her desk. She told the TV station she followed procedure and began an investigation.
Several sources have told New Haven Register that Cotto’s alleged comments were of a sexual nature. Another source told Connecticut Post’s Doug Bonjour that “The kind of words that they used you say to your best friend fooling around, but not to a kid.”
Cotto was 6-11 overall, including a 2-4 record this year. His last game was a 48-7 victory over Torrington. Assistant Matt Silva and the remaining coaching staff coached the team to a 35-19 victory over New Milford last week.
Bunnell is 3-4.