- COACH — JIMMY BENJAMIN (4th year, 10-20)
- CONFERENCE — CTC
- PLAYOFF CLASS — Class L (519 boys enrollment)
- HOME — Vito DeVito Sports Complex, Foran HS, Milford
- 2017 RECORD — 3-7
- 2018 OPENER — Sept. 8 at Thames River, 5 p.m.
- TEAM WEBSITE — Maxpreps | TWITTER — @PlattTechFball
- JOSEPH CALZONE, Jr., QB
- JACOB RODIA, Sr., DE, (5-10, 221)
- SHAWN TAYLOR, Sr., OL/DL, (5-8, 198)
- JERRY PRATTS, Jr., RB/LB, (5-10, 185)
QB Keenan Little, WR Jacob Tamburrino
Last September proved costly for Platt Tech. The Panthers lost three of the four games they played in the season’s first month, en route to an unsatisfying 3-7 finish.
Nevertheless, coach Jimmy Benjamin is setting his sights high this season. He said his goal is to win seven games, which would be a noteworthy achievement for a program that has suffered through five consecutive losing seasons.
“We’ve got more guys that are a little bigger, a little faster,” Benjamin said Thursday. “We’re just younger, that’s all.”
How young? Well, the Panthers return only three starters on offense and four on defense. Altogether, they have only seven seniors.
Yet, Benjamin sounds confident.
“These younger guys are ready,” he said. “They’re willing, and they’ve been buying into the system.”
Platt Tech is switching to the Wing-T on offense this year, which Benjamin believes will play to quarterback Joseph Calzone’s strengths. Calzone is replacing Keenan Little.
“He played a little bit last year,” Benjamin said of Calzone. “We tried to move kids around to different spots to give us different options. He’s picked up the offense this year.”
Junior Jerry Pratts is expected to receive most of the work in the backfield.
- Sept. 8 — at Thames River,* 1 p.m.
- Sept. 15 — PRINCE TECH,* 2 p.m.
- Sept. 21 — at Cheney Tech,* 6:30 p.m.
- Sept. 29 — ABBOTT TECH/IMMACULATE,* 12 p.m.
- Oct. 5 — Quinebaug Valley,* 6 p.m.
- Oct. 20 — at Bullard-Havens Tech,* 12 p.m.
- Nov. 3 — MCW UNITED,* 2 p.m.
- Nov. 9 — WILCOX TECH,* 7 p.m.
- Nov. 16 — at Vinal/Goodwin/Whitney,* 6 p.m.
- Nov. 22 — O’BRIEN TECH,* 10:30 a.m. (at Jonathan Law)
Home games in CAPS