- COACH — ADAM STARVISH (6th year, 29-24)
- CONFERENCE — CTC
- PLAYOFF CLASS — M (482 boys enrolled)
- HOME — Beaver Stadium, Manchester
- 2017 RECORD — 4-6
- 2018 OPENER — Sept. 7 vs. Abbott Tech/Immaculate, 6 p.m.
- TEAM WEBSITE — Maxpreps
- JAEDON JONES, Sr., RB-LB (5-11, 195)
- DANIEL LaROSE, Sr, D-DT (6-0, 241)
- PEDRO RIOS, Sr., C (5-11, 225)
- NIJZIRE VAN ALLEN, Sr., RB-LB (5-10, 201)
Joshua Holman, SB-CB; Efren Dawson, WR-CB; Zack Lopez, MLB; Willie Montford, DT-DE; Ramel World, RB-MLB; Logan Townsend, OL; Lorenzo Lewis, DE-LB
Cheney Tech graduated 18 seniors from a year ago, including its two most experienced quarterbacks.
But the Beavers are focused on who is returning, namely senior Jaedon Jones, who, with 539 yards last season and five touchdowns is the team’s top returning performer.
“We return our starting backfield that made up 74 percent of our offense last year,” coach Adam Starvish said. “They bring stability to an offense that will have eight new starters on offense including the quarterback position.”
A rebuilding year seems to be on tap for Cheney, though, defensively, its top returning tackler, Daniel LaRose, does return, as well as a host of strong linebackers.
“The linebacking group will be very strong this year and we have great leaders on that unit that will be able direct the defense on the field,” Starvis said. “Smart and great athletes at those positions.”
With just three returning starters on offense and four on defense, Starvish knows he and the Beavers have a lot of work to do.
“Inexperience is our first weakness,” Starvish said. “We graduated 18 seniors last year and currently only return seven starting offense/defense positions back at the varsity level. One area that has particularly taken a hit is our wide receiver position with many players playing the position for the first time due to team needs.”
The Beavers do like to work, though, so Starvish woudn’t be surprised by anything Cheney Tech does this fall.
- Sept. 7 — ATI UNITED,* 6 p.m.
- Sept. 14 — at Quinebaug Valley,* 6 p.m.
- Sept. 21 — PLATT TECH,* 6:30 p.m.
- Oct. 6 — at Wilcox Tech,* 6 p.m.
- Oct. 13 — at Prince Tech,* Noon
- Oct. 20 — at O’Brien Tech,* Noon
- Oct. 27 — at MCW United,* Noon
- Nov. 2 — BULLARD-HAVENS,* 6 p.m.
- Nov. 9 — VINAL/GOODWIN/WHITNEY TECH,* 6 p.m.
- Nov. 16 — THAMES RIVER,* 6 p.m.
Home games in CAPS