- COACH — MATT CERSOSIMO (5th year, 23-18)
- CONFERENCE — CCC Division I West
- PLAYOFF CLASS — LL (757 boys enrollment)
- HOME — Bob McKee Stadium, West Hartford
- 2017 RECORD — 5-5
- 2018 OPENER — Sept. 7 vs. New Britain, 7 p.m.
- TEAM WEBSITE – Maxpreps | TWITTER — @CHSWHAthletics
- KJ SHAZEL, Sr. DE (6-2, 250)
- JUSTIN FURZE, Sr. WR (6-1, 170)
- MARIO VOLPE, Sr. OL (6-5, 275)
- MATT LANGEVIN, Sr. QB (6-0, 185)
- GABE SUAREZ, Sr. S (5-11, 185)
QB Jack Moore (All-CCC), TE Aidan Stabnick (All-State, All-CCC), LB Tim Simplicio (All-CCC), DE John Kirklin (All-CCC), WR/RB Ryan Orlowski (All-CCC).
A .500 team in 2017, Conard might have have to claw and scrape if it hopes to repeat that record this season.
The Chieftains lost standout quarterback Jack Moore to graduation and have yet to officially decide on who will be under center this year. Senior Matt Langevin seems to have the inside track to landing the job running the power spread offense.
Whomever the new signal caller is, he will be learning on the fly behind an offensive line with just two returning starters — although one of them is monster 6-foot-5, 275 pound tackle Mario Volpe — and only one other starter back on the offense.
Conard coach Matt Cersosimo said inexperience at quarterback will be the team’s biggest hurdle. Conard also graduated All-State tight end Aiden Stabnick. But the Chieftains at least return 6-1 receiver Justin Furze, who caught 43 passes for 616 yards and four touchdowns last year and should make the transition a bit easier for the new QB.
If Conard hopes to compete in the always tough CCC, it will have to rely on the defense to carry it. “The conference has never been tougher,” Cersosimo said.
Playing out of a base 3-4 set, the team only brings back four returning starters on that side of the ball though one of those is defensive end KJ Shazel, a 6-foot-2, 250-pound senior who can wreck opponents’ offensive plans in a hurry.
Last season, Conard handed South Windsor its only regular-season loss, 33-28, last season. But this time around, the Chieftains have to hit the road for the rematch. The team kicks off the season with a telling home game against New Britain followed by a road trip to East Hartford.
- Sept. 7 — NEW BRITAIN,** 7 p.m.
- Sept. 14 — at East Hartford,* 6:30 p.m.
- Sept. 21 — at Enfield,* 7 p.m.
- Sept. 28 — MANCHESTER,* 7 p.m.
- Oct. 5 — SIMSBURY,** 7 p.m.
- Oct. 19 — at Southington,** 7 p.m.
- Oct. 25 — at South Windsor,* 6 p.m.
- Nov. 2 — GLASTONBURY,* 7 p.m.
- No. 9 — MALONEY,* 7 p.m.
- Nov. 17 — at Hall,** 1:30 p.m.
Home games in CAPS