Above: Highlight reel for Hartford Public senior Khalil Patterson, who will be one of the Owls’ top threats in 2014.
- Coach: Harry Bellucci (12th year, 66-47-1)
- Conference: Central Connecticut Conference (Division II East)
- Playoff Class: Class LL
- Home: Hartford Public High School or Dillion Stadium
- 2013 Record: 6-5
- 2014 Kickoff: Sept. 13 at South Windsor, 11 a.m.
- Keith Coleman, Sr., LT (6-3, 305)
- Shamar Richards, Jr., QB (6-2, 180)
- Khalil Patterson, Sr., RB (5-9, 170)
- TyRryq Rodriguez, Jr. MLB/RB (5-8, 180)
- Johnny Padilla, Jr. RB/SS (5-9, 175)
- Danny Kaloshi, Jr. G
- Justin Freeman, Sr. G/DT
- Jordan Freeman, Sr. G/DT
- Ray Colon, Sr. MLB (5-7, 180)
Richard Jerigan, QB; Otilio Berrios, RT/DT (CHSCA All State)
Hartford Public took its lumps against some of the CCC’s best teams during the first half of 2013. But the Owls turned it on late by winning four of their final five games to earn a fourth-consecutive winning season. Their only loss was a hard-fought 18-13 loss to playoff-bound Hall.
But Hartford Public lost a strong senior core to graduation, including all-state tackle Otilio Berrios and Richard Jerigan. And, once again, the league’s contenders come calling early in the year.
There figures to be a learning curve as the Owls adjust to their 2014 makeup. Belucci, now in his 12th season, says the team will look to its big and strong offensive line, anchored by All-CCC left tackle Keith Coleman, to clear the way for All-CCC back Khalil Patterson in what should be another tough Hartford Public running attack. Shamar Richards takes over for Jerigan at quarterback.
Defensively, Hartford Public was even more decimated by graduation. Only a couple regular starters return. The defense be hard-pressed to repeat last year’s 189-point performance. Still, Belucci says the Hartford Public defense will be aggressive. It’ll be anchored by junior All-CCC linebacker TyRryq Rodriguez, who is the team’s top-returning tackler (53) from last year.
The Owls open with three straight road games before returning home for a tough three-game stretch against Windsor, Middletown and reigning Division II East champion Wethersfield.
- Sept. 13 — at South Windsor, 11 a.m.*
- Sept. 19 — at Bristol Eastern, 7 p.m.*
- Sept. 27 — at RHAM, 1 p.m.**
- Oct. 4 — vs. Windsor, 1 p.m. (Hartford Public)*
- Oct. 10 — vs. Middletown, 7 p.m. (Dillon Stadium)*
- Oct. 17 — vs. Wethersfield, 7 p.m. (Dillon Stadium)**
- Oct. 24 — at E.O. Smith, 6 p.m.**
- Nov. 1 — vs. Bulkeley/HMTCA, 1 p.m. (Hartford Public)**
- Nov. 7 — at Fermi, 7 p.m.**
- Nov. 14 — at Hall, 7 p.m.*
- Nov. 27 — vs. Weaver, 10 a.m. (Dillon Stadium)*