Robert Drysdale scored two rushing touchdowns, including the game-winner in the third quarter, to lead the Brookfield football team to a 34-26 SWC win Sunday in Stratford.
Devante Teel caught a 4-yard touchdown pass from Nolan Aurelia for Bunnell in the fourth quarter, but the two-point conversion attempt failed and the Bobcats clung to a 28-26 lead.
Austin Reich scored on a 1-yard run later in the quarter as Brookfield (1-0) held on. Drysdale scored on touchdown runs of 8 and 4 yards, while Daniel Jackson scored on a 9-yard run and on a 53-yard touchdown pass from Brad Westmark for the Bobcats.
Justin Townsend scored on a touchdown run and on a 90-yard kickoff return for the Bulldogs (0-1). Chavez Martinez recovered two fumbles, including one he returned 64 yards for a touchdown, and made three sacks for Bunnell.
Brookfield 14 7 7 6 — 34
Bunnell 0 13 7 6 — 26
- BK—Robert Drysdale 8 run (kick failed)
- BK—Daniel Jackson 9 run (Jackson run)
- BU—Justin Townsend 4 run (Nolan Aurelia kick)
- BU—Chavez Martinez 64 fumb ret (kick failed)
- BK—Daniel Jackson 53 pass from Brad Westmark (Dane Borges kick)
- BU—Justin Townsend 90 kickoff ret (Aurelia kick)
- BK—Robert Drysdale 4 run (Borges kick)
- BU—Devante Teel 4 pass from Nolan Aurelia (run failed)
- BK—Austin Reich 1 run (kick blocked)
Team records: Bunnell 0-1; Brookfield 1-0
Ridgefield 17, Cheshire 14
RIDGEFIELD >> Will Bonaparte scored on 3-yard and 82-yard runs to lead Ridgefield to a 17-14 victory over Cheshire in the final game of the SCC-FCIAC Challenge.
Ridgefield freshman Petros Papadopoulos’ 30-yard field goal in the second quarter was the difference.
Jack Cunningham and Mark Dietrich scored touchdowns for Cheshire (0-1). Ridgefield’s win gave the FCIAC a 9-8 lead in the interleague matchups.
Cheshire 7 0 0 7 — 14
Ridgefield 7 10 0 0 — 17
- C—Jack Cunningham 32 run (Matt DAndrea kick)
- R—Will Bonaparte 3 run (Petros Papadopoulos kick)
- R—Will Bonaparte 82 run (Papadopoulos kick)
- R—Petros Papadopoulos 30 FG
- C—Mark Dietrich 17 pass from Josh McNiven (DAndrea kick)
Team records: Ridgefield 1-0; Cheshire 0-1