The 2014-15 All-State Boys Hockey Team. Capsules by Dan Nowak. Portraits by Catherline Avalone.
Most Valuable Player
- Stats: Had 20 goals and 27 assists, including the game-winning goal in a 1-0 win over Greenwich in the CIAC Division I final. Also had two goals in a 3-1 win over Xavier in the D ivision I semifinals. On his birthday Feb. 4, he had two goals in a 4-1 win over Fairfield Prep. Led the Blue Wave to a 23-2-1 record.
- Honors: All-FCIAC first team, CHSCA first team all-state selection, MSG All-Metro first team pick.
- Off the ice: Participates in the Darien Student League.
- Up next: Considering Sacred Heart University.
Coach of the Year
- Stats: Led team to the FCIAC tournament title with a 5-3 win over Greenwich in the final and the CIAC Division I title with a 1-0 win over Greenwich in the final. The Blue Wave ended up 23-2-1, setting a single-season school record for wins. In four seasons as coach Gerwig is 81-17-3.
- Honors: FCIAC Coach of the Year in 2008 and 2014.
Greenwich, Sr., G
- Stats: Three-year starter had a 1.80 goals-against average and four shutouts. Had 17 saves in a 1-0 loss to Darien in the CIAC Division I championship game. Led Greenwich to a 20-2-2 record.
- Honors: First team All-FCIAC and second team CHSCA Division I all-state selection. Greenwich High Coaches Award recipient.
Suffield/Granby/Windsor Locks, Sr., G
- Stats: The Granby student had four shutouts, a 2.00 goals-against average and a .959 save-percentage. Led team to a 20-5 record and 6-0 record in the Nutmeg Hockey Conference. Had 23 saves in a 4-1 win over North Branford in the CIAC Division II championship game.
- Honors: First team All-NHC and CHSCA All-State pick.
- Off the ice: Also plays soccer, lacrosse and writes for the Granby Drummer newspaper.
- Up next: Attending Pace University to major in investment research and finance and minor in communications/international business.
Suffield/Granby/Windsor Locks, Sr., F
- Stats: The Granby student led co-op team to the CIAC Division II title, scoring two goals in a 4-1 win over North Branford in the final. Had 23 goals and 27 assists this season and 71 goals and 69 assists for his career. First player from Granby to reach 100 career points (had 140 overall) and seven career hat tricks. His team finished 20-5.
- Honors: Two-time CHSCA first team Division II all-state and first team All-Nutmeg Hockey Conference.
- Off the ice: Also plays baseball for Granby and American Legion baseball for Simsbury (Zone 1 champs)
North Branford, Sr., F
- Stats: Had 23 goals and 33 assists, leading the Thunderbirds to the CIAC Division II final and a 17-6-1 overall record. Had three goals and two assists in a 6-2 win over Wilton in the first round of the Division II tournament. Ended up with 77 goals and 78 assists for his career.
- Honors: Selected Area MVP, first team All-SCC and the CHSCA Senior All-Star team. Also National Honor Society member and Scholar Athlete Award recipient.
- Off the ice: Also plays golf and soccer and a member of the Helping Hands Organization.
Darien, Sr., G
- Stats: Posted a 1.60 goals-against average and had three shutouts this season. Had 23 saves in Darien’s 1-0 win over Greenwich in the CIAC Division I final. Had 19 saves in Darien’s 5-3 win over Greenwich in the FCIAC tournament final.
- Honors: CHSCA Division I first team all-state and CHSCA Player of the Year, All-FCIAC first team, FCIAC tournament MVP, MSG Varsity All-Metro team.
- Off the ice: President of the Darien Student League, member of the Depot Student Governing Board, member of the Wave Hockey Outreach Program.
- Up next: Plans to play club hockey at a yet-to-be-decided college.
E.O.Smith/Tolland, Sr., F
- Stats: Over the last two seasons, he had 19 goals in eight state tournament games. A Tolland student, he led his team to a 23-3 record and the CCC South tournament title. Had 34 goals and 26 assists and ended up with 78 goals and 52 assists for his career.
- Honors: All-CCC South, CHSCA D-III all-state, selected for the Senior All-Star game
- Off the ice: Also plays lacrosse and a member of the DECA business club.
- Up next: Will play rugby at Florida Atlantic.
Xavier, Sr., F
- Stats: Ended up with 17 goals and 11 assists, leading the Falcons to the CIAC Division I semifinals. Had four goals and an assist in a 10-3 win over Hamden in the Division I quarterfinals.
- Honors: First team All-SCC, first team CHSCA all-state pick.
- Off the ice: Member of the Xavier Principal Advisory Council, Empower Leader member, and Model U.N. member.
- Up next: Will attend the University of Hartford and study electrical engineering.
Greenwich, Sr., D
- Stats: Had seven goals and 23 assists, the most assists in a season for a Cardinals’ defenseman in the last 10 years. He led the Cardinals to the CIAC Division I final where they lost 1-0 to Darien.
- Honors: First Team CHSCA All-State selection, Greenwich High Hobey Baker Character Award recipient.
- Up next: Plans to play Under-18 or Junior Hockey with the hopes of playing college hockey the following year.
West Haven, Sr., G
- Stats: One of the bright spots for an 8-11-2 team with a 2.80 goals-against average and .920 save percentage. Also posted three shutouts.
- Honors: Two-time CHSCA Division I first team all-state selection, CHSCA Division I MVP this season, first team All-SCC selection, played in CHSCA Sr. All-Star game
- Off the ice: Also plays baseball.
- Up next: Will play baseball at the University of Bridgeport.
Ridgefield, Sr., F
- Stats: Had 30 goals and 15 assists to lead the Tigers to a 15-8 record and had 60 goals and 45 assists for his career. His best game was in February when he had a hat trick in a 3-2 overtime win against Hamden.
- Honors: First team All-FCIAC, CHSCA and MSG Varsity All-Connecticut selection.
- Off the ice: Member of the National Honor Society, Safe Rides and plays baseball for the Tigers.
- Up next: Will play baseball at Roger Williams University.
Glastonbury, Sr., G
- Stats: Played 1,094 minutes, made 500 saves, had a 1.40 goals-against average a .934 save percentage and had five shutouts. In his career, played 2,085 minutes, made 1,002 saves, had a 1.60 goals-against average and .931 save percentage. Led team to a 19-5-1 record and CCC North championship.
- Honors: Member of the National Honor Society, four-time CCC All-Academic award, two-time CHSCA D-I all-state selection and all-CCC.
- Off the ice: St. Dunstan Church Creeds Youth Group, Catholic Heart Work Camp volunteer, HARC Walk volunteer and Pan Mass Challenge five-year participant.
More New Haven Register Winter All-Star Teams
- All-Area Boys Track :: Akiel Smith MVP
- All-Area Girls Track :: Danae Rivers MVP
- All-Area Wrestling :: Chidi Broderick MVP
- All-Area Gymnastics :: Abby McGuirk MVP
- All-Area Girls Basketball :: Maura Fitzpatrick MVP
- All-State Girls Basketball :: Kiah Gillespie MVP
- All-State Boys Basketball :: Mustapha Heron MVP
- All-Area Boys Basketball :: Tyreek Perkins MVP
- All-Area Hockey (coming soon)
- All-State Hockey :: Jack Pardue POY
- All-Area Swimming :: Karl Bishop MVP