The 2014-15 New Haven Register All-Area Boys Hockey Team. Profiles by Dan Nowak. Photos by Arnold Gold.
Most Valuable Player
- Stats: Had 23 goals and 33 assists, leading the Thunderbirds to the CIAC Division II final and a 17-6-1 overall record. Had three goals and two assists in a 6-2 win over Wilton in the first round of the Division II tournament. Ended up with 77 goals and 78 assists for his career.
- Honors: Selected Area MVP, first team All-SCC and the CHSCA Senior All-Star team. Also National Honor Society member and Scholar Athlete Award recipient.
- Off the ice: Also plays golf and soccer and a member of the Helping Hands Organization.
Coach of the Year
- Stats: In Shaw’s sixth season as coach, he led the Thunderbirds to their first state championship final appearance. The T-Birds finished 18-7-1 overall. Shaw’s overall coaching record is 140-114-6.
- Honors: North Branford was selected the CHSCA’s 2015 USMC Team of the Year, Shaw was named Register All-Area Coach of the Year for the 2006-07 season when he coached at Sheehan and in 2011 was the Northern Hockey Conference Coach of the Year.
- Off the ice: A physical education teacher and interim athletic director at North Branford Intermediate School.
Notre Dame-West Haven, So., F
- Stats: Had 14 goals and 17 assists. His playmaking ability is a strength and another strength is making his teammates around him better.
- Honors: First team Division I All-SCC/SWC and CHSCA Division I first team selection.
- Off the ice: The Guilford resident is an honor student, recipient of the Spanish Achievement award, an active volunteer at St. George Church and also plays for the school’s golf team.
Guilford, Sr., D
- Stats: Strong on his feet, the physically aggressive player is one reason the Indians finished the regular season 3-1-1 to qualify for the CIAC D-II tournament. Also added eight goals and 20 assists. One of his best games was scoring the game-tying goal on his first-ever penalty shot for a 5-5 tie with Cheshire.
- Honors: All-SCC/SWC D-II second team selection.
- Off the ice: Also plays lacrosse, Peer Ministry at St. George Church and an honors student.
Branford, Sr., G
- Stats: Had five shutouts, a 2.03 goals-against average and .931 save-percentage. Made 21 saves in a 5-0 win over New Milford in the SCC-SWC D-II championship game. Led the Hornets to an 18-6-1 overall record..
- Honors: CHSCA Division II first team all-state, D-II first team All-SCC/SWC, SCC-SWC D-II tournament most outstanding player, CHSCA Senior All-Star game participant.
- Off the ice: National Honor Society, Branford Rotary Club student of the month, George Eastman Book Award, Salve Regina Book Award, active volunteer in several community organizations.
- Up next: Will play club hockey at Florida Gulf Coast University.
Hamden, Sr., D
- Stats: Used his speed and strength to contribute both ends of the ice. Had 11 goals and 10 assists this season and 26 goals and 20 assists in his career. Had two goals in a 5-0 win over Fairfield Prep for first win over the Jesuits in five years. Led team to the SCC-SWC Division I championship game where it lost 3-2 to Notre Dame-West Haven.
- Honors: First team All-SCC/SWC Division I and a first team CHSCA Division I all-state selection.
Sheehan, Sr., F
- Stats: Had 24 goals and 30 assists for a single-season school record of 54 points and to to lead the Titans to a 13-10 record. Titans advanced to the CIAC Division III quarterfinals. Finished his career with 51 goals and 58 assists.
- Honors: First team CHSCA Division III all-state and a CHSCA Senior All-Star.
- Off the ice: Also plays lacrosse, volunteers for the Wallingford Hawks Youth Hockey organization assisting at the Learn To Skate and Adaptive Skate sessions.
Branford, Sr., F
- Stats: Had 34 goals and 18 assists and finished with 144 points in his career. Scored two goals to lead Branford to a 5-0 win over New Milford in the SCC Division II championship game. Led the Hornets to a 10-0-1 regular-season SCC record.
- Honors: First team CHSCA all-state and the CHSCA Division II MVP.
- Off the ice: Plays baseball for the Hornets, a 2013 American Legion World Series participant and also an honors student.
- Up next: Will play baseball at Southern Connecticut State.
Fairfield Prep, Sr., F
- Stats: Finished with 11 goals and 17 assists. Led Prep to the CIAC D-I quarterfinals. Had two goals in a 3-2 win over Massachusetts power Catholic Memorial.
- Honors: CHSCA Division I first team all-state and first team D-I All-SCC/SWC pick. Selected to play in the CHSCA Senior All-Star game.
- Off the ice: Volunteers for the elderly in the Fairfield area and an active member of Storm Special Hockey
- Up next: Will attend prep school in the fall.
Cheshire, Sr., F
- Stats: He was the top goal scorer for the Rams with 14 and also added seven assists. His best game was in a 4-2 win over West Haven where he had two goals and an assist. The Rams had a 9-11-2 overall record but Jordan led them to the CIAC Division II quarterfinals.
- Honors: MVP of the CHSCA Senior All-Star game.
- Up next: Considering playing junior hockey.
North Haven, Sr., F
- Stats: Had a personal-best 18 goals and 12 assists. The Indians ended up 9-7-5 but closed the regular season strong, going 7-2-4 in their last 13 games. Had 25 goals and 23 assists for his career. Honors: First team Division II All-SCC/SWC and a CHSCA Division II first team all-state selection.
North Branford, So., G
- Stats: Had three shutouts, a 2.21 goals-against average and a .934 save-percentage. Led the Thunderbirds to their first state championship final appearance in Division II. Had 42 saves in a 3-0 win over Suffield/Granby/Windsor Locks during the regular season.
- Honors: Last fall, led his club team Southern Stars to a sixth-place finish at USA Nationals.
- Off the ice: Also plays golf.
Notre Dame-WH, Jr., D
- Stats: One of his best games was his defensive effort in leading the Green Knights to a 3-2 win over Hamden in the SCC-SWC D-I championship game. Had 13 assists this season and 35 for his career.
- Honors: CHSCA Division I first team all-state and first team D-I All-SCC/SWC pick.
- Off the ice: National Hoor Society, member of Team ND club, the North Haven resident volunteers at Ridge Road Elementary school.
- Up next: Will play as a post-grad at the Berkshire School next season.
Xavier, Sr., F
- Stats: Ended up with 17 goals and 11 assists, leading the Falcons to the CIAC Division I semifinals. Had four goals and an assist in a 10-3 win over Hamden in the Division I quarterfinals.
- Honors: First team All-SCC, first team CHSCA all-state pick.
- Off the ice: Member of the Xavier Principal Advisory Council, Empower Leader member, and Model U.N. member.
- Up next: Will attend the University of Hartford and study electrical engineering.
Hamden, So., F
- Stats: Had 19 goals and 25 assists this season and 28 goals and 37 assists his two seasons at Hamden. Led the Green Dragons to the CIAC Division I quarterfinals.
- Honors: First team All-SCC/SWC, first team CHSCA Division all-state and member of USA Hockey NTDP Under-17 New England camp.
- Up next: Will play hockey at the Kent School next season.
West Haven, Sr., G
- Stats: One of the bright spots for an 8-11-2 team with a 2.80 goals-against average and .920 save percentage. Also posted three shutouts.
- Honors: Two-time CHSCA Division I first team all-state selection, CHSCA Division I MVP this season, first team All-SCC selection, played in CHSCA Sr. All-Star game
- Off the ice: Also plays baseball.
- Up next: Will play baseball at the University of Bridgeport.
More New Haven Register Winter All-Star Teams
- All-Area Boys Track :: Akiel Smith MVP
- All-Area Girls Track :: Danae Rivers MVP
- All-Area Wrestling :: Chidi Broderick MVP
- All-Area Gymnastics :: Abby McGuirk MVP
- All-Area Girls Basketball :: Maura Fitzpatrick MVP
- All-State Girls Basketball :: Kiah Gillespie MVP
- All-State Boys Basketball :: Mustapha Heron POY
- All-Area Boys Basketball :: Tyreek Perkins MVP
- All-Area Hockey :: Alec Martone MVP
- All-State Hockey :: Jack Pardue POY
- All-Area Swimming :: Karl Bishop MVP