• Brett LeQuire, North Branford: Scored 38 points, including the 1,000th of his career, to go with 10 rebounds as the Thunderbirds beat Old Lyme 72-63 in overtime.
• Eric Day, McMahon: Finished with 31 points in McMahon’s 70-50 win over Fairfield Ludlowe.
• Spencer Duke, Berlin: Finished with 32 points in Berlin’s 82-76 double-overtime win against Platt.
• Tyler Thomas, Amity: Had a game-high 34 points to lead Amity past Cheshire 58-48.
• Tremont Waters, Notre Dame-West Haven: Recorded a triple-double (26 points, 10 assists, 10 steals) in Notre Dame’s 73-55 victory over Xavier and had 28 points and five assists in Notre Dame’s 85-66 win at Hamden.
• Jaylen Crawford, Seymour: Had 34 points in the Wildcats’ 83-47 win over Oxford.
• Jeremiah Kendall, Crosby: Finished with 49 points as Crosby outlasted Waterbury Career 125-123 in three overtimes.
• Cory Muckle, Westbrook: Finished with 39 points in Westbrook’s 82-70 win over Old Saybrook and added 28 points in a 61-47 victory over Coginchaug.
• Josiah Steinman, West Haven: Finished with 33 points in a 70-59 loss to Xavier.
“We want to be considered champions every year. We want to play for the championship every year. We want to represent New Haven, we want the city to be ours, we want to represent the state of Connecticut when we go play up in Massachusetts (HoopHall Classic) or we go play down in New York (Cardinal Hayes). I talk to these guys all the time about the pressures we have, the bulls-eye on our backs. That’s part of who we are and we accept that challenge.”
Hillhouse coach Renard Sutton said following the Academics’ 67-56 win over Wilbur Cross.
“Some of the things he does I’ve never seen a high school player do before.”
Notre Dame-West Haven coach Jason Shea describing the effort of senior point guard Tremont Waters in the 85-66 win over Hamden.
GET OUT AND GO
• East Hartford at South Windsor, Tuesday, 6:45 p.m.: How many people before the season started counted this as a key CCC game featuring undefeated teams? Kewan Smoot stars for South Windsor.
• East Hampton at Westbrook, Friday, 7 p.m.: Could we be looking at a preview of the Shoreline Conference tournament final? Teams have combined for one loss thus far.
• Spalding HoopHall Classic at Springfield, Mass., Saturday-Monday: Three of the state’s top five teams as Notre Dame-West Haven (Saturday, 3 p.m.), Weaver (Saturday, noon) and Hillhouse (Monday, 7 p.m.) square off against out-of-state competition.
• MLK Classic at Webster Bank Arena, Bridgeport, Monday, 11 a.m.: Five-game slate, highlighted by Bassick vs. Hamden in the nightcap. Notre Dame-West Haven also playing versus East Haven.
• Trinity Catholic coach Mike Walsh won his 600th game last Tuesday 79-51 over St. Joseph. Cromwell coach John Pinone won his 300th game on Dec. 23 against Old Lyme 56-44.
• Two New Haven County area players surpassed 1,000 career points last week: Brett LeQuire of North Branford and T.J. Rountree of Hamden Hall.