Frank Rossi officially resigned Friday after nine seasons as Hand’s head boys basketball coach.
He said he “wrestled with the decision” since the season ended, in the end feeling the need to spend more time with his family, which includes three children, two of whom are 20-month old twins.
“It was a great nine years. I don’t have a single regret and I didn’t think anything was left unfinished,” Rossi said.
Rossi, 40, leaves the door open to coach again down the road, but it doesn’t look to be anytime soon.
“Being 100 percent committed to my job and my three kids and my team, somewhere along the line, something has to get cut short and it was becoming more evident I was short-changing the team,” Rossi said. “I wasn’t always 100 percent there, so I came to the realization it’s not fair to them and not healthy for me as a husband, father and as a building district administrator. It’s not as easy to balance my family and my career as it was three or four years ago. I’ve been going at it as a player or a coach since the fifth grade. I haven’t had a winter off in almost 30 years.”
The Tigers went 108-100 in his nine seasons, including 12-10 this past season. Hand qualified for the state tournament eight times and reached the quarterfinals three times under him.
Rossi also coach four seasons at North Branford. He is currently the director of technology for Clinton public schools, which included the integration of the new Morgan School set to open this fall.
Rossi becomes the second boys basketball coach in as many weeks to leave the Southern Connecticut Conference. Dan Lee announced his resignation at Cheshire last week to become an assistant principal at the school.
Rossi plans to stay involved with the Connecticut State High School Coaches Association All-Star game and committee, where he has served since 2010. He would like to remain a member of the CIAC boys basketball committee, but those positions are for active coaches and school administrators.