Senior guard Faruk Cecunjanin, the leading scorer for Westbrook at 17.5 ppg., is out 4-6 weeks following left thumb surgery last week, according to coach Jeff Beeman.
Beeman said the growth plate in Cecunjanin’s thumb was fractured during practice on Jan. 19. He had surgery last Wednesday.
“It’s a big loss. He was our primary ballhandler,” Beeman said. “It’s an opportunity for other players to show us what they have and to step up and have more responsibility. No one player can be Faruk.”
Westbrook is undefeated at 12-0, but still has Valley Regional and Cromwell among other teams remaining on its Shoreline Conference schedule.
More Boys Basketball
- GameTimeCT / Register Top 10 boys basketball poll
- Streaking West Haven has high hopes to finish strong
- Fairchester League rivalry renewed at different venue
- Westbrook’s Cecunjanin out 4-6 weeks
- Top NH County area performances; Games to watch
- New Haven County area boys basketball standings
- New Haven County area boys basketball scoring leaders