The 2014-15 New Haven Register All-State Boys Basketball Team.
Capsules by Joe Morelli. Photos by Arnold Gold. Complete lineups.
Player of the Year
Sacred Heart, Jr., G
- Stats: Average 22.0 points and 5.3 rebounds per game for the Hearts, who successfully defended their Class S state championship and finished No. 1 in the final NH Register/GameTimeCT poll. Also hit game-winning shot to help Sacred Heart win NVL title over Crosby.
- Honors: Two-time All-State and All-Naugatuck Valley League selection.
- Off the court: Honor roll student.
- Up next: Verbally committed to play at Pittsburgh.
Coach of the Year
- Stats: Led the Bulldogs to a 24-4 record, their third consecutive South-West Conference tournament title and the Class L state championship, the first in school history. Has coached at Bunnell the last 18 years. Coached at Barlow from 1990-94. Career record of 308-199. Has won seven SWC Colonial Division titles and one additional league championship.
- Off the court: Teaches 5th and 6th grade mathematics at St. James School in Stratford.
Ledyard, Sr., G
- Stats: Averaged 24 points, 7.1 assists, 4.6 rebounds and 3.3 steals per game and helped the Colonels win 82 games during his career. Also recorded two triple-doubles this season and surpassed the 1,000-point barrier.
- Honors: Two-time CHSCA All-State selection and the Eastern Connecticut Conference MVP. Selected to play in the JCC Schoolboy Classic and the CHSCA All-Star Festival.
- Off the court: Involved in the school’s key club.
- Up next: Hampton University or prep school are possible destinations.
Naugatuck, Sr., G-F
- Stats: Averaged 23 points per game for the Class L state tournament finalists.
- Honors: All-Nagatuck Valley League selection.
- Off the court: Member of the school’s honor roll and the Best Buddies Program.
- Up next: Considering Nova Southeastern and Tampa to attend next season.
Weaver, Jr., G
- Stats: Averaged 16.3 points, 4.2 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 3.5 steals for the CCC and Class M state champions. Has played in three consecutive state finals and led the Beavers to consecutive CCC tournament titles.
- Honors: Two-time All-CCC and coaches all-state selection.
- Off the court: Member of the National Honors Society.
Hartford Public, Sr., G
- Stats: Averaged 20 points and two steals per game for the Owls, who advanced to the Class LL state tournament semifinals. Also shot 39 percent from three-point range
- Honors: Two-time All-Central Connecticut Conference East selection.
- Up next: Considering Albertus Magnus among other schools to play at next season.
Roy Kane Jr.
Norwalk, Sr., F
- Stats: Averaged 21.1 points, 14.4 rebounds and 4.5 blocks per game for the Bears, who had their best season since 1998, finishing second to Westhill in the FCIAC tournament. Finished career with 1,590 points, 1,037 rebounds and 306 assists. His career point total is second all time in city of Norwalk behind Calvin Murphy.
- Honors: Three-time All-FCIAC First Team and two-time All-FCIAC Defense selection. Four-year starter and two-year captain.
- Up next: Likely headed to prep school next fall.
Westhill, Sr., G
- Stats: Averaged 25.7 points, six rebounds and five assists per game for the Vikings, who went undefeated in the FCIAC, won the league tournament and advanced to the Class LL state tournament final. He’s the second all-time leading scorer at Westhill with 1,537 points. Finished with a 57-16 record over his final three seasons and averaged 25.1 points during that span.
- Honors: Two-time All-FCIAC selection and FCIAC MVP this season.
- Up next: Will play at Harcum Junior College in Pennsylvania next season.
Fairfield Prep, Sr., G
- Stats: Averaged 13.7 points, 7.0 assists and 5.0 rebounds per game for the Class LL state and SCC Quinnipiac Division champions. Surpassed the 1,000-point barrier this season.
- Honors: Three-time All-SCC Quinnipiac Divison and two-time All-State selection.
- Up next: Will play at Fairfield University next season.
Career, Jr., G
- Stats: Averaged 19.0 ppg. for the SCC champions and two-time SCC Oronoque Division winners. Led team to the Class L state semifinals.
- Honors: Two-time All-Area and All-SCC Oronoque Division selection. This season’s SCC Most Valuable Player.
Sacred Heart, Sr., F
- Stats: Averaged 16 points, 13 rebounds, four blocks and three steals for the NVL and Class S state champions. Helped the Hearts go 28-0 and finish No. 1 in the Register/GameTimeCT poll.
- Honors: ALL-Naugatuck Valley League selection.
- Off the court: Did volunteer work for the 75th Assembly District in Waterbury.
- Up next: Likely to take a post-grad year at prep school.
Bunnell, Sr., G
- Stats: Averaged 16.3 points, 5.4 rebounds, 8.4 assists and 3.9 steals for the three-time SWC tournament and Class L state champions. Finished with 1,206 career points and is Bunnell’s all-time leader in games played, assists and steals.
- Honors: Two-time All-Area and All-SWC selection. SWC Tournament MVP.
- Off the court: Manager of the school’s girls’ volleyball team.
- Up next: Considering Southern Connecticut and Western Connecticut among other schools.
New London, Sr., G-F
- Stats: Averaged 21.4 points and 5.4 rebounds for the ECC champions. Also shot 50 percent from three-point territory, making 77 in all. Finished with 1,186 career points.
- Honors: All-Eastern Connecticut Conference selection and named MVP of the Merit Insurance Classic Christmas tournament.
- Off the court: First honors student.
- Up next: Will spend a post-grad year at prep school.
- The 2014-15 Register All-State Boys Basketball Lineups
- State Player of the Year: Mustapha Heron Sacred Heart