We will finally know if the Southern Connecticut Conference is better than the FCIAC.
There will be an FCIAC/SCC challenge next season and below are the following games that are tentatively slated to be played on April 9, 2016.
SCC commissioner Al Carbone said the wheels started spinning in the most unconventional of ways.
“John Cross who’s the McMahon coach, his daughter and my daughter where playing a softball game,” he said. “A 10-year old softball game. He had all his McMahon stuff on and I introduced myself to him and said hey, ‘Wouldn’t it be nice if we could do something?’ ”
The rest as they say, was history.
Carbone said the SCC’s coaches and SCC baseball chairperson Jon Capone discussed the challenge and agreed it was a good idea. Cross, who is the FCIAC baseball chairperson, also was in favor. Carbone said Harding and Bassick leaving the FCIAC freed it up to play some competitive non-conference games.
“Right now you’re looking at the two best leagues top to bottom,” he said. “That’s whats exciting for the players and the coaches.”
Carbone said teams can opt to play either April 9, a Saturday, or April 8, a Friday. He said they also discussed playing some of the bigger games, like Amity/Staples, St. Joseph/Notre Dame-West Haven and Sheehan/New Canaan, at larger neutral sites. However, he said they will explore those options in year two.
FCIAC/SCC Challenge 2016
- St. Joseph (FCIAC) at Notre Dame-WH (SCC)
- Amity (SCC) at Staples (FCIAC)
- New Canaan (FCIAC) at Sheehan (SCC)
- Fairfield Prep (SCC) at Norwalk (FCIAC)
- Greenwich (FCIAC)at Xavier (SCC)
- Shelton (SCC) at Trumbull (FCIAC)
- Danbury (FCIAC) at West Haven (SCC)
- Cheshire (SCC) at Wilton (FCIAC)
- Ridgefield at North Haven (SCC)
- Hand (SCC) at Darien (FCIAC)
- McMahon (FCIAC) SCC at Branford (SCC)
- Guilford (SCC) at Fairfield Warde (FCIAC)
- Stamford (FCIAC) at Foran (SCC)
- Law (SCC) at Westhill (FCIAC)
- Fairfield Ludlowe (FCIAC) at East Haven (SCC)
- Wilbur Cross (SCC) at Bridgeport Central (FCIAC)
- Career (SCC) at Trinity Catholic (FCIAC)
Note: Hamden and Lyman Hall will not be included, however McMahon is interested in playing either team.